Don't buy Jet tools at WW

Given that Woodworkers Warehouse is in the final throes of bankruptcy clearance, you're warning will have practically no effect.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Was informed all items sold at wood workers warehouse stores are sold AS IS no warranty.

Reply to
DEin2000

Ya know...that's news to me. . Who informed you of that? As far as we in the stores knew, ALL manufacturer's warranties are in effect. In fact, nothing has been sold in "As Is" condition unless so marked. All sales were indeed "final", but what in the world does that have to do with the manufacturer's guarantee? As far as we knew, that only meant that one couldn't bring the tool back to WWW within the normal

30 day period. If this is so, then we in the stores were duped and were totally unaware of this fact. There were no signs anywhere alluding to tools being sold "As Is, No Warranty."

I cannot see how Jet cannot honor their own guarantee.

I would check into your state's consumer protection laws, there's got to be something that protects the consumer in this matter!

And besides...it's kind of a moot point by now as many of the stores are already closed and I doubt that any of the stores have any Jet machines left to sell. We sold out all machinery within the first 2 weeks after learning we were going OOB.

Our store in Norwich, Ct. was among the top 20 and this coming Friday will be the last day. I was told ALL the stores will be closed by the

15th!

Terry Sumner Asst Manager WWW Norwich, Ct. (for another week...:o)

Reply to
Terry Sumner

Don't bet on it protection. The seller is NOT Jet, but WW. If WW stuck Jet for big bucks, which is the rumor, when they filed for bankruptcy, then Jet may be trying to save itself whatever it costs to honor warrantees.

And then again, maybe not. It's not a great move from a customer satisfaction standpoint, and the guys I've known at Jet have been very good about that.

Charlie Self "I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house." Zsa Zsa Gabor

Charlie Self

On 04 Jan 2004 22:50:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self)

stuck Jet for

Yeah Charlie, I understand that. You may be right. But I have a hard time believing that because even though WW is the seller, there never has been a guarantee from WW. The guarantee was always with the tool manufacturer. WW never guaranteed anything. The policy was a 30 day no questions asked return policy. I know because one of my duties as Asst Mgr. was to handle all the returns from customers. Whenever any customer brought anything back that was defective, WW simply gave the customer another of the same item, no questions asked. Well...none other than, "What's wrong with it." :o)

I would then have to call the manufacturer and obtain an RGA number (Return Goods Authorization). I would then send the item back to the manufacturer and they would either send my store a replacement or credit the WW account.

And also I think that Jet would be pretty high on the list of creditors to get paid for their stuff that they were owed for. That liquidatore, Great American, bought all the inventory and that money went to the bankruptcy court, who then doles it out to the creditors. Of course I don't know this for sure...I'm just guessing. As you may be able to tell, those of us down at the store level weren't really informed very much as to what the hell was going on.

And I certainly agree with you on the bad move by Jet as to honoring their guarantees. This can only create a bad image for Jet, which will be repeated from woodworker to woodworker for years to come.

I know that if I work at some other store in the future, I sure as heck won't be so quick to recommend Jet tools if they won't stand behind them!

Terry Sumner

Reply to
Terry Sumner

On the Jet Website they say, "If you purchased a qualifying Green Tag Tool at Woodworkers Warehouse between September 1, 2003 and December 31, 2003 and want to purchase a second program tool or accessories to qualify for the rebate, you can make your purchase at another retail location.

WMH Tool Group will honor the rebate request in this situation ONLY even though the rebate coupon states that the tools and accessories MUST be purchased at the same retail location.

Doesn't sound like they're reneging on anything. And doesn't the warranty come in the paperwork included by Jet?

Lionel

Take the DOG out before sending email.

Reply to
Lionel

There wouldn't be a WW guarantee, but all tools sold would come with the manufacturer's warranty.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I talked to a supervisor @ WMH tool group regarding the 18" JET bandsaw and was told that they would do whatever they could to make me happy short of taking the saw back.(new parts, tech to house,ect) This saw was purchased 12/20/03 at WWW for 15%off.There is nothing broken with the saw, it is just too lightly built for my liking.Keith

Reply to
keith

Which is understandable - there is NOTHING WRONG with the saw. The 'Return Policy' is up to the establishment which sold the tool. This can vary from, 'No Refunds . . . only Exchanges', to 'No Cash Refunds . . . Store Credit Only', to a very generous, 'Return for Any Reason at Any Time'.

The MANUFACTURERS warranty terms are defined in the paperwork you filled in and sent to them - the tool 'Registration'.

To offer to send a Tech TO YOUR HOME is VERY GOOD 'Customer Service' !!

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop {who READS EVERYTHING . . . then copies & files it !!}

Reply to
Ron Magen

Yep, someone needs to take JET to small claims court over a breech of contract issue with the warranty. Betcha a bunch of folks could get together and work up a class action suit against JET in this situation

Talk about BAD Publicity???

Someone at Jet must have their head shoved clean up to their shoulder up their ass on this one

John

Reply to
John Crea

hey, you bought the thing. if it's not suitable for your needs, sell it on the open market. I'd bet you won't have any problem finding somebody to take it off of your hands for what you paid or nearly that.

buying closeouts and liquidations carries certain risks. you're looking at them. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

Unless there's a bunch of folks out there to whom this happened, a breach of contract suit is damned unlikely. So far, it seems, we've got one dissatisfied customer presenting HIS side of the tale. That doesn't amount to a lawsuit, even in today's idiotic tort climate.

Charlie Self "Brevity is the soul of lingerie." Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

You have crystallized my thoughts eloquently.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Utter and complete nonsense. If they warrant their tools, they cannot selectivly chose which retailers they will honor the warranty through.

Pretty much a moot point since there aren't many Jet tools left at any WWWs.

BTW - did anyone take advantage of the going-out-of-business sale. At the WWW near me, the major power tools were only 10-15% off. Sears is right up the block and their prices are a little cheaper than WWW. If you wait for one of their 10% off sales (which they seem to have every month or so) you get it for about the same price AND are able to return it if there is a problem. Couldn't see buying anything at WWW and having to go back to the mfg if there was a problem when I got it home.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

Our local Sears dosen't sell what I consider major power tools. They've got hand held power tools, and things like lunch box planers, but never at a better price than the mail order joints or discount tool houses.

However, aside from a wicked deal on a Jet JTAS w/ 50 something inch fence, router lift, and Bosch router, most stationary tools were available cheaper elsewhere than WW's going out of business sale.

For example, the Jet 6" jointer was marked down to $499. A local, single store shop, has it for $439, every day. The Jet 18" BS was marked down to $979. The other guy sells it for $959, every day.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

caveat emptor

Whenever I buy something, I check the vendor's return policies first then shipping/handling costs. I ask questions until I am satisfied.

To do anything less is asking for trouble, but you already know this.

Not to change the subject, but you're right on the prices. I just bought the 10" Jet Contractor Saw (JWTS-10JF) for $472 (tax included). Cheapest I could find it anywhere was $599.

The only catch is you have to pick it up (not a problem for me) and it's on back order until Feb 3. Not to mention I had to call Jet for question as most sears salespeople don't have a clue. But for that price, I can deal with them.

Scott

Reply to
SagDEG

Got a Jet 3 HP Cabinet Saw for 30% off... thought that was pretty good. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Terry, Last week, I heard from a guy at the Fairfield, CT store and another at Hyannis (Cape Cod) that some middle management types at WW were trying to get funding to buy at least 4 stores (maybe 10) and operate them independently.

Have you heard this?

Reply to
Cape Cod Bob

I was told this as well from a jet rep on the phone. I bought a jwts 10" contractor saw with cast wings for $500 incl tax and a piece that holds the blade guard was not tapped to allow the rod to be inserted! I called jet and they said that they would not supply missing parts to www purchases, but would honor the warranty. My piece was clearly defective. They are sending me a replacement part via ground shipping.

Reply to
Subw00er