Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

A typical 8 pack AA batteries at a drug store may run around $7 or $9. But at the dollar store you can find 8 packs for only $1 with brands like "Panasonic". What is the difference? I am sure Duracells last longer, but does it last 8 times longer?

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

I watched one of the "news" programs a couple of years ago. They tested batteries. All kinds. The ones that sell for a lot because they have all that advertising to pay for. The ones that you find at the Dollar Store that have Japanese writing you can't read.

They said for alkaline batteries, buy whatever's on sale. There's a huge difference between $9 at the regular stores and $1 at the dollar stores. But only in price. Just like the leather cell phone cases. $1 at the Dollar Store, $20 at the mall. Similar cases. Enough so that I buy six at a time when I find them at the Dollar store. I bought two at the mall before I found the Dollar store. The first broke (plastic) within a week. The other lasted as long as these $1 ones do.

Batteries at the Dollar Store are a steal. Add up the time they last. Factor in cost. A deal.

I do believe alkaline batteries lose 2% per month, so watch dates if they have any. Take a tester with you, and test them.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Some of those batteries will leak - I have used them a lot in the past and many times had this problem, maybe because of our hot climate? So I do still use them but just in cheapo items but for anything like my remote controls etc I always buy the more expensive batteries. Also the cheapie batteries won't even power up my digital camera, there mustn't be enough strength in them.

Reply to
Grant Meyer

If you find panasonic they are very good batteries.

Reply to
m Ransley

"m Ransley" wrote

As good as the $9.95 Rolexes?

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Rechargeable batteries are far cheaper if price is your concern.

RicodJour

The biggest and best rechargable battery manufacturers are Panasonic and Sanyo, Ive never seen anything made by Panasonic that is junk.

Reply to
m Ransley

One brand of rechargable to stay clear of, IMO, is "Quest Platinum". I paid $4.50 each for some "AA"s and they went dead in a week, in storage, after being charged. Are supposed to have a one year warranty. Well I have a set of four that they are going to get back and I'll see how good their warranty is. Luckly I held on to my sales receipt.

So far I have found "Duracell" the best. But also more expensive. Jack

Reply to
tinacci336

link will show a variety of specifications of panasonic alkaline batteries. digikey can be easily searched for other electronic components. note rarely does retail packaging give this type of technical information. as in automobiles batteries you have an amperage rating to consider at time of purchase for any battery.

Reply to
buffalobill

Just make sure they are alkaline and made in USA and they are good. Don't buy the knock off junk made in China that looks exactly like the good stuff except with the mispelled name (like Dynacell that looks exactly like Duracell, etc.).

Reply to
scott21230

I bet they are out of date. That is most of what you find at "dollar stores". They buy old crap that a real store won't sell anymore. Same with their food.

Reply to
gfretwell

Fortunately all brand name batteries have expiration dates printed on the batteries and on the outside of the package. Since Alkaline batteries may have a shelf life of 5 or more years, the ones at the dollar store may be a year or two old already. I'd be willing to bet that battery manufacturers take back batteries from major retailers after a certain period for credit, so they can replace them with fresh stock, and then wholesale the returns to a liquidator. So the battery in the dollar store may be only 3 years away from expiring rather than

  1. This is very easy to determine simply by reading the package.

Commodore Joe Redcloud©

Reply to
Commodore Joe Redcloud©

If it is indeed the same battery type, i.e, alkaline, with a brand name (check the spelling very carefully), then there is little difference. In some cases, even if it is an off brand name there maybe very little difference. I pickup audio cables for $1 that cost $5-6 everywhere else (same package). Same with certain kinds of other audio or computer connectors when they have them. BTW there are several different dollar stores.

Recently, I looked at a large plastic dust pan (for sawdust and wood shavings) but thought the handle was a bit flimsy. Saw the identical item at Lowes 2 days later for $4.95.

So, there is junk at a low price that sells for a lot more at other stores and there is good stuff at a low price that sells for a high price elsewhere. Don't know where the dollar store gets its stuff (probably overstock, older models, etc., but some of it same brand and quality you would buy elsewhere. Also, you might look at the greeting and other cards. My wife says they are a real bargain.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Alkalines do not loose 2% per month, maybe you are thinking of rechargeable batteries. They maintain their charge much longer than other batteries. Fresh alkalines typically have a use by date that is at least 3 years in the future.

Here are some actual data not conjecture:

Use in my two smoke alarms is typically 2-1/2 years before sounding the low battery noise, and never less than 2 years. Use in a tv controller that is used a lot is never less than 2 years. I buy AAA, AA, C, and 9V copper tops in Costco packages which take a long time to use up. Recently, my replacement batteries had a date of

2003 (which means the batteries were made no sooner than 2001 and the voltages read from 1.59 to 1.61V. That means these unused batteries were still at full power after 5 years. As a point of interest some appliances quit working when the voltage drops below 1.25V.
Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Rolex makes batteries?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Rechargeable are useless for many applications, e.t., long periods over little use.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Just make sure they are alkaline batteries, not "heavy duty" batteries, which are older technology carbon-zinc cells.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I agree on the batteries. But yes Panasonic does make some junk. Bought a high quality (mean expensive) amplifier for my wife's sound system many years ago. The power supply burned out and I had it replaced but when it burned out again in 3 years, it was tossed in the garbage. Replaced it with a Pioneer that cost about what fixing power supply would. Now, my wife won't buy anything made by Panasonic.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Buy a pack for a buck and try them out.

I got a pack for $1 to use with a new MP3 player AAA rayovac heavy duty. The battery that came with it lasted 5 hours over three days. The cheap batteries only ran about 30 minutes each.

I wound up buying a set of NIMH rechargables. Strangly enough also Rayovac.

Reply to
marks542004

"George E. Cawthon" wrote

Sorry, typo. I meant the Bolex watches with the Panasoonic batteries. They're next to the Channel #5 perfume and Gucchi bags.

Reply to
MasterBlaster