Is there anything wrong with batteries sold at dollar stores?

On the few occasions I bought unknown brand, made in China dollar store batteries, they were useless garbage. If you can find decent brand name batteries, they're ok. But those packages of 24 AA cells for a buck, forget about it!

Reply to
Nick Kasoff

I also saw the show that listed the extensive tests done with everready and duracells and store brand akaline batteries. Since then, I won't buy anything but walgreen akaline batteries. I will only pay between 25 cents and 37.5 cents per AA or AAA battery.

And the worst batteries made which you should avoid if at all possible are always marked 'HEAVY DUTY'. The only reason I might use one of them is they put out more voltage (not power) than either akaline or nicad and some appliances work better with higher voltage.

.
Reply to
WM

I have given up on buying these things.

Get a charger and some NiMH recharables in the size you want. I'm a fairly heavy user - digital cameras etc, and they pay for themseves in a few months. Also a 2500 mAh rechargeable will last a whole lot longer than an alkaline cell in any appliance.

Reply to
Avery

The ones at the dollar store usually generate Japanese electricity. This will work with Japanese and most other Asian appliances, but American radios etc. may not understand it.

It is possible to get a converter, designed to fit in the battery holder, between the Japanese batteries and the springs of the battery connector. The PVC contact piece is thin with wide copper traces on both sides and the electronic part fits off to the side a bit, in the unused space between cylindrical batteries.

Send $39.95 plus 10 S&H to P.O.B. 11420, Wilmington Delaware, 22374 for one, Or only 49.95 plus 10 S&H for two. Satisfaction guaranteed.

mm

I have bought them and seem to have good luck. panasonics seem to last only 75% as long as duracell, but I can buy twice the amount and still save Good luck!

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller

Reply to
David Combs

I have a cordless mouse. It has a constant standby drain even when the computer is turned off. I get a month of use with alkalines, a week with

1800 mah. NiMh. NiMh go dead quickly below about 1.2 volts. There is a lot of life left in an alkaline below that level. So, in some devices, alkaline will be more convenient even though more expensive to use. But some digital cameras will not function when the voltage drops below 1.2 and using alkalines leads to quick frustration.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

I use nimh all over my house. Only time I don't use rechargables is in trickle drain things like smoke detectors. AA are everywhere and I keep tons of them. In 2 years only 1 has gone bad. Thats much better for the environment than having thrown away 50+ by now otherwise.

NiMh tend to drain when stored whereas NiCD can last longer between uses. NiCD are supposed to have stronger current delivering capacity. youll have to test to see which gives the most live in a particular usage. For a camera, you will have to be sure to charge the nimh whereas lithium has longer shelf life without charge i believe.

Reply to
dnoyeB

Some cameras have a menu select for the type of battery being used. I'm thinking of a Nikon I worked on. Otherwise I use rechargeable Alkalines for my wireless headphones that need the higher voltage. Fully charged the batteries are 1.68 Volts. I have 4 and use 2 at a time. I bought the charger and batteries for a $1 at a garage sale. They're not supposed to have the current capacity of NiMHs, NiCADs or LiPolys but they work fine and can't beat the price. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty