Don't Buy This Blade

I have a lot of plywood to cut for my bookcase project, so I thought I'd try this blade. For $10, I didn't really expect much, but I figured I'd give it a shot. Never tried a 200 tooth blade before. More is better, right?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-10-in-x-200-Teeth-OSB-Plywood-Saw-Blade-A10200X/202021698
I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts on a piece of 3/4 plywood to have something to compare the Avanti to. An easy push through the blade and nice clean cut.
Then I tried the Avanti. Within the first couple of inches, it was apparent that I'll have to take numerous breaks and even maybe a nap or two once I start my project. The amount of effort required to get through 12" of 3/4" plywood was astounding. I've got over 100' to finish cut on the table saw. I'm tired just thinking about using that blade.
What about the quality of the cut, you ask? It sucks.
I don't know if this image is clear enough, but the top piece is the Diablo cut, the bottom is the Avanti.
https://i.imgur.com/leZfTbI.jpg
I've got an 84 tooth laminate/non-ferrous metal Diablo blade that I've used on my miter saw to cut a small amount of aluminum. I haven't tried that yet...don't have time tonight. Thoughts?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10-in-x-84-Tooth-Laminate-Non-Ferrous-Metal-Cutting-Saw-Blade-D1084L/100660707
*snip*

The image quality is plenty clear. You can see the effects of the 200 tooth blade and the tear out on the bottom. *snip*
Puckdropper
On 11/19/17 5:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I wish you would've asked about that blade, first! Good news is you can return pretty much anything to home depot.
I tried one of those a while back and may even have posted a warning about it. For me, it wasn't so much the quality of cut but because the blade is so thin, it bends and starts to curve, giving you a crooked cut that is very hard to control.
In any case, that second blade you showed will probably do fine. I use a thin-kerf cross cut blade that I got on sale for 40 bucks. http://www.rockler.com/irwin-marples-10-saw-blade-80t-hi-atb I got it to cut bamboo plywood which is notoriously difficult to cross cut. This blade did the best on it and makes perfect cuts in plywood. It looks similar to yours.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I ended up having a chance to try the 84 tooth non-ferrous blade. (Dinner wasn't ready yet.)
The 40 tooth General Purpose Diablo still beat it quality wise. Cut effort was similar. Just to be sure it wasn't some other factor, I put the 40 tooth back on and did one last cut. It's definitely the best of the three.
Should I trust this $40 deal?
https://www.ebay.com/i/400561585359?chn=ps&dispctrl=1
On 11/19/17 6:37 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test cuts

I wish you would've asked about that blade, first!

If it's new, probably. One caveat I forgot to mention, though. I used blade stabilizers, as I do with any thin kerf blade. Thin kerf blades can and do bend enough to adversely affect the accuracy of cuts.
I would normally never buy a thin kerf blade since my table saw has plenty of horse power. But in this case, as I mentioned, I was looking for a blade with very sharp, very pointy outer teeth. The Marples fit the bill.
I still use it for the occasional crosscutting on the TS. I has a job where I needed to cut up about 22 sheets of plywood and didn't want to use a $100 blade to do it, so I threw the Marples on and was very pleased with the ease and cleanness of the cut. It was effortless and didn't have a lot of chip out.
--

-MIKE-

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 9:16:26 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I found a better deal on eBay. New, $38, free shipping. Ordered

Any suggestions on what to buy?
Are they going to screw up my zero clearance inserts by moving the blade?
On 11/19/17 9:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I had a fairly new 40 tooth Diablo on the table saw so I made a few test

I wish you would've asked about that blade, first!

Whatever's cheap. They're not rocket science.

Yes. But, you'll need a new ZCI for the different kerf anyway. They are easy to make and you should have one for each thickness blade if you really want to take advantage of what a ZCI can do (prevent tearout).
While we're on the subject, the blade stabilizers will help to keep the slot in the ZCI tight against the blade. When the blade can wobble, it will widen the slot allowing tearout.
--

-MIKE-

I've got an old set of Dewalt stabilizers that I don't like.
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/freud-sc-001-saw-blade-stabilizer-set-3-1-2-diameter-x-5-8-bore
http://www.rockler.com/blade-stabilizers

It might widen it a smidgen.
On 11/19/17 10:14 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:

It's going to do a lot more than widen it. It's going to move it over the width of the stabilizer, which is probably 1/8". So you now have a slot 1/8" wider than your blade which negates the benefits of a ZCI on the motor side. If you do all your cutting on the blade side it won't make a difference to the quality of the cut. But if you cut on the motor side, you'll get some tearout.
--

-MIKE-

Only if you put the stabilizer on the wrong side of the blade -- and if you do, you've *also* changed the distance from the blade to the rip fence.
If you put the stabilizer where it belongs, between the blade and the arbor nut, there's no impact on the ZCI as long as you continue to use thin-kerf blades.
On 11/20/17 4:53 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Well, they most often come in pairs, so they do "belong" on both sides.
--

-MIKE-

Your experience and mine differ; I've *never* seen them in pairs, only singles.
On 11/20/17 6:17 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Better not google it or you'll break that record. :-p
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, November 20, 2017 at 7:21:55 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

If you plan to use just one, use this one.
http://www.wonders-in-wood.us/images/ridgid/stiffener.jpg
On 11/20/17 9:21 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

You win! LMAO.
--

-MIKE-

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 22:53:51 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

If you use two stabilizers one on each side of the blade, the ones I have came in a pair. Then the answer is yes.

Whaaaaaaaaat? :-). Do all your cutting on the blade side? Maybe you meant nut side.
But, regardless of where the gap is at you are likely to need/use the pieces from both sides of the cut. So the usable scrap will possibly have some splintering.
AND, yes using the double set stabilizer will widen the slot.
On 11/21/17 7:28 AM, Leon wrote:

Yeah, I guess that doesn't make sense. Also you could cut long and flip over to make the final cut. But yeah, just make a new ZCI and be done with it.
--

-MIKE-

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 9:53:47 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

And a new sled? I'd rather not.

Epoxy, thickened with microballoons. (RIP Lew Hodgett.)
Puckdropper