Don't Buy This Blade

On 11/21/17 5:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

http://www.rockler.com/blade-stabilizers

You don't even need aZCI with a sled, but you can do what I do. I use a sacrificial top on my sled. It's thin MDF (3/16"?) screwed down to the sled that I just move over to cover the slot. The first pass through the blade give you your ZC line. When you switch to a larger blade/stack, it cuts through the sacrificial top to make a wider ZC line. When you switch to a narrower blade, you just unscrew the MDF, move it over to close the gap, screw it down, and start over. Very fast and effective.
--

-MIKE-

On Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 12:15:06 AM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I agree, since the sled acts as a ZCI.

Sure, but now I have to raise the blade another 3/16". Jeez, more work. ;-)

Clarification: If the blade stiffener is 1/8" and the Irwin is 3/32" then the afore mentioned "smidgen" = ~ 3/32" wider.
Another consideration when switching to a thin kerf: http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/how-thin-thin-kerf-37285/#post320350
On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 6:57:17 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

I just tried out the irwin-marples-10-saw-blade-80t-hi-atb that I got on eBay for $38.
First, it's the same thickness as the $30 40-tooth Diablo that had won the earlier quality-of-cut trials. 3/32". No need for a new ZCI or sacrificial top on the sled.
As far as quality-of-cut, I'll give it a slightly higher rating than the $30 Diablo. $38 vs. $30 better? Barely. Full price at $50-$60 vs. $30 better? Definitely not.
I can't speak to longevity since I don't cut a lot of plywood, but my bookcase project should give me some indication. I'll run the Irwin for the plywood until it either gives out or completes the job. We'll see how it does.
On 11/25/17 4:20 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Good info, thanks. If you don't mind, I'd love to hear the results of a test between those two blades on hardwood crosscuts.
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 7:25:36 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

If you have any particular species in mind, just send me a couple of hundred BF so we make sure I test a large enough sample size. ;-)
On 11/25/17 7:22 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Every respectable woodworker has some poplar, oak, or maple scraps sitting in a bin somewhere.
Are you respectable? :-p
--

-MIKE-

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 8:40:46 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

Respectable enough to even have some padauk. ;-)
Maybe tomorrow. I've already de-dusted myself for the day.

That sounds delicious. Does it make a good mix with turkey gravy? :-)
Puckdropper
On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 1:18:03 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

I've never tried sawdust infused gravy, but I did mkae stuffing waffles on Friday day morning.
A couple of us had them with eggs on top, others just used maple syrup. Both ways were delicious. A tradition has been born!
https://i.imgur.com/2RIOuX2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8TpJxLf.jpg
I need to work on the presentation, but stuffing doesn't tend to pour as well as waffle batter. It's more of a spread and sqush process.
On 26 Nov 2017 06:17:59 GMT, Puckdropper

Do not know but a bread baker (large corp) did use saw dust cause it is added fiber.
On Sun, 26 Nov 2017 12:03:49 -0600, Markem wrote:

I've heard of a sausage maker using sawdust, because in these troubled economic times, it's hard to make both ends meat.
Cheers, Colin
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 9:52:00 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I tested 3 blades today.
1 - A Bosch 60 tooth blade that came with my miter saw. It's on my miter saw right now for some crap cuts, so I figured I might as well try it for comparison.
2 - A Diablo 40 tooth general purpose blade on the table saw. This is my "standard" blade. The one on the table saw is basically new. I have another one that I plan to get sharpened.
3 - An Irwin-Marples 80 tooth Hi-ATB blade on the table saw.
I cross-cut 3 species using a sled: Poplar, Maple and Padauk
I made my choice of the smoothest cut and then had SWMBO give me her opinion. She was totally unbiased because she had no idea which blade made which cut. Her test was 100% tactile.
Without hesitation, the Bosch cut on the miter saw was deemed the worst in all three cases. No surprise. Single finger swipe, decision made.
The comparison between the Diablo blade and the Irwin blade was much more difficult. For both of us, it took multiple swipes before a decision was made. For the Paduak and the Poplar, we both felt that the Irwin was slightly smoother than the Diablo. For the Maple, we both chose the Diablo.
After SWMBO made her choices, I told her the price of the blades. She agreed that in the cases where the Irwin was smoother, an $8 higher price (eBay) was reasonable. When I told her that the Irwin typically sold for $50-$60, she agreed that a $20-$30 price difference was not reflected in the difference in the quality of cut.
Comparing longevity will be tougher. Maybe I'll leave that to someone else.
For now, I'll leave the Irwin on the table saw and put the Diablo on the miter saw. That will get me through my bookcase project with 2 blades that perform close enough to "equally well" for my purposes.
On 11/27/17 6:40 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Thanks for the informative comparison review. Were all the blades thin kerf?
--

-MIKE-

On Monday, November 27, 2017 at 11:03:50 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:

re

ightly

greed

y) was

she

nce

lse.

They all mic at 3/32”
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:23:38 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I've never had good luck with those really fine-toothed plywood blades, either for the table saw or circular saws. I have an Avante 80T carbide blade for my TS that isn't terrible. It's no WWII but it works. I'm not sure what you expect from a $10 blade, though.
BTW, it wasn't in backwards, was it? DAMHIKT ;-)
On 11/19/2017 6:23 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, everything is relative. It is better than say, a steak knife. Makes you wonder how a product like that gets on the store shelf. I guess the manufacturer has no shame.
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:15:02 -0500

another sign of the degradation of the supply chain to the consumer
instead of the buyer for home depot insisting on quality they buy from some pre approved supplier
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 21:43:09 -0800, Electric Comet

Home Depot just sells what people want to buy. They're not a high-end woodworking store, like say, Highland. I'd be surprised if HW sold such (but even their customers may want to buy such) but the likes of HD, Sears, and HF sell what the greatest (common denominator) number of people want. If you want to blame someone, blame the (generic) customer. You may not always get what you pay for but you're certainly not going to get something you didn't pay for.

I think the blade is intended for THIN plywood. I had one these style blades in 1979, it only did well in thin material.