Dinky bookcase project

For those that like these sorts of things, I thought I would document frankenshelf here:

John Rumm

Which is as good a prompt as any to ask if anybody else is watching New Yankee Workshop on Quest? They are pretty old programmes, and the workshop has greater floor area than my house, nevertheless it is interesting to see how he works.

Similarly, This Old House gives quite an insight into building techniques across the pond.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Nice Project John. If I was being picky, I could say a bit on the chunky side maybe I'd have dropped the thickness of the sides a little but the ease of doing that could depend on whether or not you have a thicknesser.I did not realise that you are a woodworker too. Is there no end to your practical skills? Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Had not realised it was on Quest... what time/day?

I have watched quite a few on YouTube mind you...

If you really want to go green, then try the workshop builds on either The Wood Whisperer's youtube channel, or Frank Howarth's one ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup I did consider that... I did a mockup with some 1/2" stock, and it did not really "work", so in the end I decided to go with what I used on the small bookcase since it was going to be so close to it.

(it also made it easier to accommodate the 1/2" rebate for the T&G on the back).

I do have a thicknesser (DeWalt DW733) although did not need it for this one. The only non standard thickness used was for the separator slats - and for those I just re-sawed a bit of the thicker stock down the middle, and tidied it up on the jointer planer.

I am quite fond of woodwork actually, only moderately skilled at it so far, but improving. There are a few other bits I have done on the wiki, have a look at the Furniture projects on the bottom left of my links page:

Was it one of your photo collections I was browsing a couple of weeks back, that featured a couple or rather nice oak chairs?

Reply to
John Rumm

Weekdays 15:00 & 15:30.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Could well have been John. My chairs are written up here

and the table to go with them is here

I found the chairs quite challenging with no single joint being 90 degrees. They turned out quite chunky too. Still quite pleased for a first try.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yup, those were the ones. Very nice job!

Part of me feels like I ought to try doing a chair... but normally I end up doing stuff that I need / want at the time, and so far have not needed a chair!

Yup. I expect that is one of those occasions where you could cheat a bit and produce a credible facsimile using slip tenons, or with a Festool domino machine

I quite like "chunky", although admire those who can produce very light looking yet still strong woodwork.

Reply to
John Rumm

Which is quite interesting, seeing what they get away with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon