New Main Circuit Board - Domestic House for Rental

I need to get a new circuit board fitted, dual RCB etc. How much of the work am I allowed to do myself?? TVMIA

Reply to
CS

All of it. Submit a building notice before you start.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why do you? Is it actually faulty or unsafe? A house doesn't need to meet current standards, but it does need to be safe, which it would be if it meets 16th Edition (and probably 15th Edition too).

All of it. However, you would need to do a building notice and have the council come and inspect it. They will likely try and parm this off as your responsibility, and charge you extra because they don't have appropriately trained staff, even thought they've been told not to do this. The upshot is that this is all being ignored by many councils, although some are still anal about it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In principle you can do all of it. However, its unusual for a CU to need replacing, lots of rented properties are quite happy on their original 1970s fusebox.

Also I don't know how much you'd need to learn, to comply with regs.

NT

Reply to
NT

If he's talking about RCBs on a circuit board, probably quite a lot.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

Companies I've approached to manage my letting have said that main circuit board/consumer unit must have RCDs to assure Elec Safety Certificate for letting.

Quite happy to do it, already added small CU for garage a few years ago. Reckon that a dual RCD board with 10 breaker slots would do it - currently have 10 breakers scattered around. Even built a shorted plug to check RCD trips at under 30ma, although do not have timer for

40ms part!!

Just fitted out a 22m steel vessel with 12v/24v/240v 1ph and 380v 3ph circuits, 12kw generator, 22kw battery, 6kw inverters, shore supply isolation transformer, contactors to auto change over supplies etc etc.

Reply to
CS

Its not actually a requirement in general (although a good idea!), however if they won't let it otherwise I suppose you are stuck.

If you already have 10, then it sounds like a CU with some spare slots would be good for future expansion.

Anyway, details here:

John Rumm