new house domestic water pipes

What are the pros and cons of using PEX plastic piping versus copper pipe for domestic drinking water in new house construction.

Reply to
habbi

PEX is easier to install, therefore saving you money. Some people are still terrified of PEX, due to an issue with an entirely different kind of pipe (poly) in the 80's. It's actually more resistant to bursting from freeze than copper.

Copper causes cancer, according to Effi. Other than that, I'm not aware of any downside to copper, other than it bursts easily when frozen.

I'd guess in another 10 years or so, copper will be phased out completely in the mainstream.

Having said that, were I building a new house, I'd choose copper. No real reason though, other than that's what was in my parents house, and has been in every house I've ever owned. I don't need any new inventions from you young wippersnappers.

Reply to
Matt

I would have to agree with almost all of that. While I would go with copper today, (I would like to see more history of wide use of PEX before I would want that.) but my parents house was galvanized pipe as was my first home.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
habbi

I wanted copper on my new house, instead builder choose to install Wirsbo Aquapex Tubing.

I am glad they did. Love it. We had our old house replumbed with copper about a year ago. Should of used pex. It is great.

Only issue I have is the tool to work with it is way too expansive... And can't seem to find any rental place that has it...

Brian

Reply to
Brian

If you are on a well in some areas and the water is a bit acidic copper will not last.

Reply to
Art

I have been building homes for over 20 years and I can think of no real-world characteristic of copper that is superior to PEX. I have not used copper supply lines in a home in eight years.

PEX is tough, easy to install, and it can endure freezing much better than copper. I have never seen a PEX pipe burst from freezing.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Bucy

Not yet. And there probly not be any.

Reply to
HeatMan

My house was built in 1950 and still has the original copper piping in it. I personally wouldn't use anything else.

Reply to
scott_z500

My house has plastic water piping.

The only down side is that I can not set the water pressure regulator higher than 40 psi. Showers are not what they used to be even with removing the restrictors. Back yard hose works but lacks the pressure of the front one, ahead of the regulator.

If the builder had used a larger pipe to the shower I would have no issues. I like hard and large volume showers, like standing under a water fall.

Reply to
SQLit

I read that the pipe and fittings are rated to 200psi, how come you can only go to 40?

Reply to
habbi