Don't buy this toilet.

I may have written this before the last time I visited my brother, but it's worth saying again!

Don't buy a Villeroy and Boch, Magnum model, toilet.

My brother's house has 5 and I can only hope they came with the house and he didn't get sold this junk when he partially remodeled.

Almost everytime you use it, it has to be cleaned. OTOH, my average priced Eljers rarely need cleaning, because the water surface in my Eljers is 3 to 4 times as big as the area in his toilets.

This has afaict nothing to do with the amount needed for flushing. But since one has to flush it once or twice during cleaning, it still uses more water than my 30 year-old ones do.

This is something like it:

In fact, I thought my brother's had the flush button in the middle of the top, like in the picture (in fact I remember trying to get the lid off a few years ago, but being stymied by the connection between the top and the rest), but the four I used this trip all had a lever on the side. (But the same brand name and model name and the same failing.)

Lots of fancy words that disguise the fact that it's no good. Who knows if any of their other models are any good!

Lots of bragging that the company is 260 years old, but no admission they still make bad products.

And it's 780 dollars!!!! How would any homeowner know in advance that the thing got dirty every time someone used it? How many people would demand that the plumber or the general contractor replace them for free?

It also requires a large, non-standard shaped plastic seat and cover, which is probably better than the average seat, but probably is hard to find and costs a fortune. And what to do when they stop making them?

BTW, I just came across an Eljer toilet designed to go in a corner that costs only 254 dollars with free shipping. In case you have a corner.

And Hechinger's still has a website, even though all the stores closed more than a decade ago!

Born in the early 1900s, Hechinger was a retail industry giant with more than 200 stores across the United States through the late 1990's. Home Décor Products is proud to announce that customers can now once again access Hechinger tools and hardware at
Hechinger.com offers power and hand tools, outdoor equipment, building and remodeling tools, welding and paint supplies and more ? all from leading brand names including Makita, Hitachi, Toro, Stanley Tools, Wagner, & more.

Very strange. Why bother?

Reply to
mm

It looks to be a common design used in Europe. They tend to have a straight sided bowl with little water sitting in the bottoms. They get dirty very fast. IMO, they should not be sold for sanitary reasons. I think most every toilet in Europe has skid marks in it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

How old is it?

Keep in mind that the older water savers of all makes were not very good.

Also consider that many makes have a dual flush. Often it is only a matter of holding the handle a couple of seconds to get more water. Even when using the handle, the amount of water used is a lot less than the pre-water savers.

I don't know a thing about the make and model, but I do see a lot of complaints about equipment due to those two facts.

Joseph Meehan

on 5/26/2008 2:12 AM mm said the following:

How come that $254 toilet is priced from $318?

Not a very unbiased Hechinger plug, is it?

Reply to
willshak

I was surprised to see someplace selling "Hechingers" products, even though Hechningers was a hardware store and didn't make its own products. So they charge 318 for this, but someplace else had it for

254 iirc.

Reply to
mm

If my brother put them in, less than 8 years. I'm not sure how old the house is. Maybe 15?

The toilet flushes well enough what is in the water. The problem is what never reaches the water. The surface above the water is dirty, and flushing again usually doesn't help much, and flushing once but longer wouldn't help anymore.

This is an additional thing to worry about before buying. The acreage of water in the bowl is too little to catch the waste, compared to a simple American toilet with 3 or 4 times the surface area.

Just like Edwin says.

mm