Dishwater Motor

Yes, it may not be the motor. I had a Maytag many years ago start making noise, it got louder and louder over several months until it sounded like it was grinding gravel. A replacement pump solved the problem. The pump bearings had leaked detergent into the internal parts and corroded the balls and raceway. It went silent after the replacement until other problems started a few years later.

Reply to
EXT

Outside: Current- I need to finish the metal patio cover for the back yard and Next- build another storage shed.

Future furniture- I have the lumber, foam, batting, thread, fabrics, webbing, and webbing clips for a new couch, but no freakin' _shop_ space in which to do it. (hence, the shed first)

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Sounds like some good projects. I'm surprised you are still working on that patio cover. It's been a while, no? ; )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I did find the "installation manual" online which made me realize that there can be more to an install than one might suspect.

Listening to it humm just now... I couldn't resist getting on my hands and knees to take a look. The sound is Definitely coming from the front left bottom corner. Right now, it feels like 10PM and I'm getting ready for work tomorrow, but I'll remove the access cover and peek inside later....

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think you are right. I think the extra whiney noises at the end of each wash cycle may give some extra credo to your solenoid valve suggestion. The location of the noise (left bottom front) as well.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Touche, Mr. Unfinished Lighting Man.

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

? "Leon" wrote

Kitchen Aid is also made by Whirlpool. I'm on my third KA in 45 years. #1 was still working when we moved, #2 was good for over 20 years, #3 is still humming along perfectly. Considering how well they wash dishes, I'd not consider another brand. Yours evidently had a defect of some sort.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My next project is your drill press' twin. ;-) The CFO approves, so in a couple of weeks...

I'm still working on my shop in the garage attic. At the rate I'm going it'll be another year (I'll miss this insulation season). :-(

Reply to
krw

Sadly whirlpool is not the same old whirlpool. "past experience is no predictor of future behaviour"

Reply to
clare

We bought a Bosch in 2000. It lasted two years before the plastic parts in the door disintegrated. Replaced it with a Maytag and so far so good.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Funny, when I was looking at dishwashers online the other day, I ruled out the Bosch one, despite it's high ratings, because I had never heard of Bosch mentioned in the context of dishwashers before. Of course, I have never frequented such conversations. The verdict is still out here. We still have a working, albeit loud, machine (which probably needs a new water inlet (solenoid) valve)...

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill,

I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was a 2 year old one. The warranty on labor was over; the warranty on parts was still in effect. The story was that I could call their representative to come and diagnose the probelm($65). The he would order the parts (free) and come to install them ($65). So much for the warranty! For $130 I had to look.

I found the problem. The seal between the impeller and the motor had leaked - destroying the bearing on the motor. I had the bearing replaced for $70 and replaced the impeller ($20). But, now I can do it myself the next time! By the way, the motor and impeller were made in - u guessed it - China.

Len

Reply to
l-lopez

I currently have a Bosch, it's so quite I have opened it up during a run cycle. I forgot to look for the red light on the floor.

It has been a great dishwasher.

I think the only unit still made in America is Hotpoint. Most everything else is outside the US.

Funny how each company makes a dishwasher for the other companies. Seems like they manage it > Gerald Ross wrote:

Reply to
tiredofspam

Bosch is a very well known brand. We didn't go that way because they don't use a food grinder so you have to clean the strainer/filter. Yuck. We bought an Electrolux instead. It's almost silent. So far (two years) we're extremely happy with it. We've slowly been replacing the contractor specials with Electrolux appliances (microwave Sunday and the range, perhaps in the Spring, will finish the project off).

Reply to
krw

My local appliance dealer will sell you one if you insist, but says they have a very high call back rate for warranty repairs. Good when they work, but too often they don't.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Interesting tidbit - when we were buying appliances 3 years ago, whirlpool washer was made in Germany (as well as some models in Mexico) and the only fully AMERICAN built machine was --- you guessed it - the BOSCH.

Reply to
clare

I can get at least 2 or 3 just for the price of a visit from my local Sears store ($129)...and they'd probably install the same kind.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The only? Electrolux is US made, as well.

Reply to
krw

? wrote

Electrolux bought Frigidaire that was a part of the Edison Electric and White Consolidated Industries group. They have plants in many countries but I long ago lost track of what is made where. Many large appliances were made in the US though. They moved air conditioners to Mexico at one point and they were built with compressors from China. They also build a half dozen brands at each plant.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it ain't broke . . .

How many such motors have you replaced?

Anything else in there that might be "going?"

Why is there a whining? Is it the motor? Sure?

Reply to
Hoosierpopi