Bryant Blower Motor Loud Startup

Merry Christmas, Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays! Anyway, I have a Bryant condensing furnace Model 340MAV on which the blower motor makes a loud/brief hum/vibration noise on startup. Startup Cap was easy/cheap enough to replace, but did not fix the problem. Is my blower motor going bad or is there something else I should look at first before bringing it in to an electric motor shp for a checkup?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reply to
Jim Conway

it depend on type of motor, but before you do anything ales check voltage when motor is starting up you should be with in 10% of rated voltage, anything less that is your problem.

Reply to
Grumpy

Your motor is taking a shit. Replace it.

Reply to
The King

LOL! I would have figured that out if it had a newspaper. That's the difference between a pro (you) and a novice (me)...

Reply to
Jim Conway

BTW that was a run capacitor not a start capacitor you replaced. Its a PSC motor. Permanent Split Capacitor.

Reply to
The King

Could be a number of things. Run Capacitor too small, to start winding having shorted windings. Which is worse? Cold or a slightly noisy startup. you could leave the motor on constant run.

Reply to
Don Ocean

You could take it to a motor shop, or you could call a HVAC company with experience in furnaces. I can think of a couple problems it could be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You fool! STFU and let the pros handle this one. Your fat-ass EE degree don't give you any training on this real-world stuff.

Get the hell out of this group and do not ever post again.

Friggin' idiot...

Reply to
Mike Hunt

I thought he was a Union Machinist that couldn't find a Job.

Reply to
Don Ocean

On Dec 21, 9:36=A0am, "Stormin Mormon" wrote:

pages, and I've learned a couple of very costly lessons that reflect poorl= y on the HVAC trade by the actions of this one company -- *cough* Climate D= esign System of Methuen, MA *cough*. I should have known I was in trouble w= ith the 'tech' called from my neighbor's driveway asking why I wasn't answe= ring their door...but it just gets worse.

Their snake 'technician' *cough*THIEF*cough* came out to perform gas maintenance on my system at a cost of $158, and perhaps even to have me subscribe to their regular maintenance service plan. Cutting right to the chase: They didn't clean the blower motor (p/o the service) and likely didn't do much more. I didn't realize this until I opened the compartment two days later to investigate the motor noise which they had no answer for other than "we can clean your blower wheel for $80, but that could make it worse, so we can then replace your blower motor at a cost of $877 -- consequently I wrote off their service plan. It also wasn't until a week later I realized they had STOLEN a brand new electronic motorized damper I had foolishly left down there in view ($110 cost for that), so I'm out a total of $268. I guess their thieving tech was so busy trying to figure how to get a damper fo that size out of the house he forgot to do my service. Fricking thieves, eh TONY?! Anyway, stopped payment on the CC for service not performed, sent an email to the company president along with pictures of the dirty component -- never heard back from him (why am I not surprised?), followed up with a 2nd email after I discovered the THEFT, and I will also be filing a police report tomorrow AM as I don't expect to get the damper back within the 24 hours I allowed them. Incidentally, got a 2nd quote from another local HVAC company that was a more 'reasonable' $480 to replace the motor.

However, snakes aside, I had much greater success with a local electric motor company (BAY STATE ELECTRIC, Methuen, MA). That guy's done me good twice, and identified my motor as being bad, and gave me a lead on where to find a new one (all at no charge). After a mere $125 for a brand new motor and about two hours of my own time (pulling, picking up, installing) my system is running smooth and quiet.

Unfortunately, SNAKES like Climate Design System of Methuen, MA reflect quite poorly on all you upstanding HVAC guys willing to offer support on this board and who treat your customers well. More unfortunate, it will be a cold day in hell, or my house before I choose another HVAC without a recommendation from others who trust them...

Reply to
Jim Conway

You noticed that too? Occasionally there is some lack of manners, here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've had some success dissembling, and relubing electric motors. Yeah, most tech rip and replace. Sometimes I get calls out on Saturday, and the parts houses are closed. The last motor repair I did, no heat call for a church mouse. No money, just a cold home. The draft inducer fan locked up, and it's rough to be in NYS with no heat this time of year.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sorry to hear there are HVAC techs who are crooks. I agree with your approach, though. Talk to your friends and neighbors, see who has given good sevice in the past.

Good luck on the police report. Hope that gets your damper back, and maybe a refund for the lack of maintenance.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, and it is rough to be in NYS when your lungs are full of CO because some clueless mormon top-posting clown tried to "lube your motor" instead of actually repairing the root problem.

Reply to
Mike Hunt

Yes, do talk to neighbors until you hear something positive and that could take awhile.......

We recently had a Christmas Party at our clubhouse in a development of

53 homes. One lady told us that her Heat Pump unit was defectived and the service tech told her that these units "had a history of being cheaply made". They charged her $5000 to change out a 4T unit. One of the other residents told a story of replacing his fan motor (inside) and was charged $800. He said he went online after the fan job and found a motor for $140. More of what's wrong with HVAC today. My daughter and her husband just paid $5400 for a furnace change out.

Dr. Stone

Reply to
Zaroc Stone

Chances are that the developement had all of the comfort systems installed by the lowest bidder. $800 is not out of line for an X13 motor, and $1,200 is about right for an ECM motor replacement. $5,000 is about right for a 4T heat pump replacement, and a couple of grand shy of a complete system replacement(not including any additional ductwork). The homeowner got what the builder didn't pay for. Furnace change-out can run anywhere from $1,500 to $6,000 depending on the model, and the installer. You can get it cheap, or you can get it done right the first time. Its your choice.

Reply to
Steve

Hi, In real life some times temp. fix is a necessity until such time proper repair is possible. Never had a situation like that in your life on the road or around the house?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I doubt that you are man enough to have a daughter. You should ask your wife who really is the sire. I am amazed that with your system of logic that you didn't kill her while she was still at home with some kind of stupid dangerous repair.

Reply to
Hermann

Now you know how we feel stepping into your office dontcha doc.

Reply to
The King

BTW just so you know, I charge you rip off hack ass doctors double, maybe after this Ill charger triple.

Reply to
The King