My sister-in-law has a gas, forced air, central HVAC system with an
Aprilaire humidifier attached. She said that a plumber who was there fixing
a kitchen faucet leak saw her HVAC system and suggested that she should get
a UV light put in. He told her that without one, mold develops, and with
one she could prevent mold and even help prevent spreading things like the
H1N1 flu virus.
She asked me if I knew anything about that -- using UV lights in an HVAC
system -- which I don't. I asked her if the guy said how much something
like that might cost and he said around $1,000.
Is the use of UV lights in HVAC's for real and something that homeowner's
should have installed?
And, if so, can anyone give me a general idea of what something like that
might typically cost for an HVAC person to install?
I have checked out various websites, but it's hard for me to know what the
truth is. Most, or all, of the websites have something to sell. I had
never heard of adding UV lights to an HVAC system until now, and I don't
know anyone who has a UV light in their HVAC system. So, that's why I am
curious what the truth is about this.
Hospitals use them to kill bacteria, viruses and mold spores. Its a
pretty simple deal to install one in a residential application and
although I cant quote the cost its no where near a grand for something
for residential use.
They have become quite common in homes that have someone with breathing
problems and areas that have mold problems. You also might consider a
good whole house dehumidifier if the mold problem is bad. A high hepa
air filter might also help. Why don't you shop around for a reputable
and educated HVAC shop for a consult.
Here's a goofy YouTube.com video that I found earlier that shows the
I would have no interest in doing it myself, and I don't even know if
everything in the video is correct. But at least it shows the general
concept which I didn't know before seeing the video.
Thanks. I'll pass the info on to my sister-in-law.
From an EPA site that someone else posted, there seems to be some question
as to how effective the UV system really are. But, they don't seem to be
harmful, and if they may be helpful to some extent, and if they cost more
like a few hundred dollars than a thousand dollars to have installed, I
think she may want to go ahead and have it done.
I don't know of any experienced HVAC people in her area in particular that
would be a good choice to use, and I don't think she does either.
Obviously, she shouldn't use or go through the plumber who told her it would
cost about a thousand dollars. She lives near Langhorne, Pennsylvania (I am
in New Jersey). However, she and I can do some asking around through people
in that area to get some suggestions or recommendations.
It doesn't take a highly qualified tech to use a hole saw for the needed
1 inch or there abouts hole and insert the tube...Run a sheet metal
screw into the retaining bracket and plug it into 110VAC. An Apprentice
can do a laudable job. The medical profession here recommends those on a
regular basis for any folks with breathing problems, mold and viruses. I
personally have installed a number of them and folks seem satisfied that
they work. Couldn't prove it by me though. For your technical questions,
you should speak with a contractor that is knowledgeable on these
subjects. Your local health department can also guide you as to their
value in subduing mold etc. The building engineer at any hospital would
also be of value if you can get one to take time to talk to you.
Aparently, some short wave UV kills some kinds of mold or
other growth. The UV bulbs they use are the "don't look at
them, you'll go blind" kind. But, they are installed inside
a metal duct where people don't look at them. How effective?
I'm not sure. I've never worked on a system with a UV
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.