Blower motor?

agreed, you want to use a fan, not your AC blower.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Fan motors are cheap and easy to replace. I've done it once. Don't worry about it.

Reply to
scott_z500

I agree. My basement is cool. The blower sucks that air throught the return grill in my basement and brings it up to the top floors. I definately think running the blower helps. My house feels more stale if the blower was off.

Reply to
Mikepier

Doesn't take much for that to happen 8-)

Reply to
G Henslee

How can leaving it running 24/7 have an effect (eventually)?

That said, it's a design mode and won't kill it in just a short time as OP is concerned about...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

BE

I was told that it wouldn't, but I've replaced my motor twice in 8 years. I leave mine run 24/h a day 7 days a week.

Reply to
HopsNBarley

Chris, you and Travis hit the nail on the head; the blower adds heat and will run your electric bill up! If you want air circulation use a large 20" floor fan in the areas you will be in; it uses a lot less electricity and produces very little heat. If increasing the air circulation with a floor type fan allows you to set the Rm TH to a higher temp - that will save on energy costs and compressor run time. Running the furnace blower motor 24/7 will add to much to energy consumption and add motor heat to the conditioned space. (Losing equation.)

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

motors are a lot cheaper to replace every 8 years, than the cost of paying for all of that compressor time you don't need

Reply to
arizona

Generaly, when you leave the fan switch on, on. it is not in cooling mode, it is in fan mode. I may be wrong but i thing he may have ment run the A/C

24-7, in other words, set it at a decent temp. and leve it be. dont cut it on when it is to hot, by that time it has to work twice as hard to catch up. The squirl cage fan stays cool to a certain extent when running, like a car, it blows air over and around the moter to keep it cool. hope this helped
Reply to
All in One Service and Repair

Well, it certainly seems to have increased the hot air circulating in a.h.r... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Different effect, but both are design conditions...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Me

Duane Bozarth wrote:

Eventually, but you would think there would be more of an effect turning the motor on and off all the time.

Glenn

Reply to
HopsNBarley

Just a question regarding the blower motor on my furnace. I just had the evaporator AC coil replaced. I mentioned to him that even before it went bad the home does not seem to stay cool for long. He told me to leave the fan switch on the thermostat to on so that it blows 24/7

Well needless to say that makes a huge difference as the compressor isn't needed as much.

My concern is will this shorten the life of the motor? And, is it ok to leave the fan on 24/7 for 2, 3, 4, 5 days? My thinking is to leave it on for whatever the duration of the heatwave. Correct?

Thanks...

Reply to
BE

Or course it will, the question is how much? Anything mechanical will eventually wear out. Quality motors with quality bearings can last for many years. I know of some that have been running 16 to 24 hours a day for well over 10 years with no problems. I know of some that went to crap in a year. While you will be using the blower motor more, you already noted the compressor (the more expensive part) is running less, so why not take advantage of that?

Keep in mind that starting and stopping also puts a strain on things. Compressors are often rated with having a maximum of X number of starts per hour.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sorry, but that is an illogical conclusion. The only component of the air conditioning system that removes heat is that of the refrigeration (compressor-condenser-evaporator) cycle. Running a circulation fan only redistributes the existing air. Over the long term the compressor has to run equally long to remove a given amount of heat.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Sounds like a silly idea. The motor will get its life shortened, and your electric bill will get its dollar amount raised. Also, all energy put into that motor to spin it eventually becomes heat. Heat that will be going into your house.

Reply to
Chris Hill

compressor

refrigeration

Not an illogical conclusion at all if the house has poor air circulation. I've measured air temp deltas of 15 degrees or more between floor and thermostat with registers and cold air returns at floor level...

Reply to
Rick

Regardless, running the blower to circulate air won't reduce the total load on the compressor.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

But it sure will reduce the running time if the air is mixed...

Reply to
Rick

before it went

compressor isn't