Gas Furnace Blower Motor Replace Question.

I have a Bryant Gas furnace with a blower fan motor that is going bad. I am having it replaced and told the tech to use the old blower wheel (fan). He said OK (one week to get the motor). After checking with his boss came back to the house and said I must pay them for a new blower wheel ($145) or they will not warranty the motor. something about the balance of the fan. This sounds like they are just trying to sell me a $145 blower wheel. Anybody have any info on using the old blower wheel if it is in good shape.

Reply to
Jon Reinhardt

A week to get the motor, and they want you to replace a good blower wheel too? Something stinks here! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Maybe the old blower wheel really is out of balance, causing your motor problem. But a visual inspection should show any problem. It will be something not symmetrical, like a bent blade.

Ray

Reply to
Ray K

YOU told him? Man...normally its standard practice unless its obvious that its thrown a balance weight, or has a bent center hub, or the fins are loose, or damaged.

Sounds like...we dont have the entire story.

First, IF the blower is damaged, or out of balance, they are correct in what they told you. If you made a big deal about SOP..that is...using the old blower...then its a nice, polite, f*ck off.

Really.

At least, thats what I am seeing.. Particularly at $145 for a $90 wheel.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*

This is Turtle.

Tell them to bite it and get a real hvac service company out to your house to fix it.

By taking a week to get a blower motor and want a week later decide you need a blower wheel with out explaining and showing you the defect in the blower wheel. This is Like a Auto shop working on your car and telling you you need a new water pump on your car and they will not warrent or do the job on the water pump unless you buy 4 new tires from them. If you think this is fair. Go for the Blower wheel.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If the old motor didn't last long and the wheel looks out of balance when you spin it, get a new wheel. If it lasted a long time and seems to spin true, keep the old one.

Reply to
Matt

"Matt" wrote in message news:eOHjc.2871$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny...

news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

This is Turtle.

Matt, I'm a HVAC service company owner / operator and when you tell me a company has to wait on a blower motor for thr Bryant furnace as he said. i carry them on my truck and can get 100's at the warehouse in about 30 minutes. These are everyday motor in the trade and waiting a week for one is not telling the trueth here. Then When you wait a week later and when called to see about the job going forward they tell the customer that they decided that it needed a blower wheel too without explaining of why it needs a new blower wheel like warpped, out of balance, bent vains, or just I don't like the look's of it. 1 in a 100 job will ever need a blower wheel change out and it would really demand a answer as to why it needs changing. They did not explain anything about the wheel and come back with Change the wheel or we will not do the job ! This is a signal of Hack wrote all over it. When a blower wheel seems to be not very good and the customer wants it installed anyway. the professional will do the job but he will simple add to the invoice '' No warrenty on the motor '' wrote on it and finish the job. just not doing a job without showing the customer the defect in the blower wheel and wanting to change it is a sign of he is just wanting more money on the job and is a sign of NON-Professionalizem. Also just about every brand known today has blower wheels far less than $145.00 in the first place and I'm speak in terms of Suggested Retail Prices. The highest blower wheel I know of is Suggested Retail price is $97.00 + Sales Tax. No parts should be sold above the Manufactors suggested Retail price for the HVAC service company is buying at wholesale prices and gets his profit / mark up / added profit price in the Suggested Retail Price. If you can't operate inside the Manufactors Suggested Retail Prices -- You need to get in another line of work.

The Public has got in their head that these are Professionals and it makes it very hard for the Real Professional to deal with the Public when they think a clown like this is one of us. He is not one of us and is nothing more than a piece of trash that should be stepped on like a Roach in your house. If we would be able to get all these Hacks and Trash out of the trade. There would be much less break downs and cost to operate a business would also go down. I would say about

1/2 of all equipment sold today is not needed but just sold just to make a profit. When one of the HVAC contractors referrs to a fellow as a Hack. He is speaking this thought in it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

[...]

I agree that it looks very suspicious. I didn't say he should buy from the same guy. Do you disagree with my post? I believe that if the bearings on the motor didn't last long and the wheel looks lopsided, the wheel should be replaced.

Reply to
Matt

[...]

No i don't disagree with your post of if the wheel looks in anyway warped or vanes slipping. Yes change it out but the tech looking at it had no problem with a new one when he was there but when his boss a week later out of the blue wants a blower wheel change with out looking at it wants a new wheel put on it. It just sounds funny. It don't have to have a bad blower wheel to take out the bearings of a motor. Motors now days have very cheap bearing and there is a problem with them and mostly with Magna tech and G/E motors.

I too to , it looks very Suspicious the way it was spelled out.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE