-------------------------------- You learn quick.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"belts and idler arms" ????

Reply to
Steve Barker

Some food for thought

Assume one hour per use, one use per day, 365 days per year, 8 years of service to date.

365(8) = 2920 hours of service to date.

My guess is that the design B-10 life (point at which 90% of units have not failed) is somewhere around 5,000 hours. (It may be a lot less)

B-10 is a statistics term often used as a design life point, IOW, the unit has consumed approximately 60% of it trouble free service life.

As a recent homeowner, you have yet to learn about the slippery slope of increasing repairs you face with household appliances as they age.

Clothes washers, clothes driers, and dish washers are the worst followed by microwaves.

Stoves and refrigerators (Ice maker excluded) tend to have a much longer service life.

Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work night.

Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"

You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap.

DAMHIKT

There was a time in my life when the only things I would not try were brain surgery and laying concrete, but I'm learning, the list is longer these days.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I don't know if this rule of thumb is valuable to a news group dedicated to repairing and fixing. The ROT is once the cost of repair exceeds 50% of replacement value, it's time to replace.

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Failures, on the other hand, can be VERY easy to repair; the RCA S-100 module-swap televisions had 60% good modules returned for 'rebuild' service, meaning that RESEATING THE CONNECTOR was all that most repairs ever required. The noise in this case possibly isn't the (single moving part) motor/rotor assembly at all (it'd squeak, or leak, or hum, but unless something's out of balance, not vibrate). It could even be water hammer (i.e. in the pipes, not related to the dishwasher at all).

Dishwashers, and Skilsaws (note WW content!), are 'durable goods' and well worth repair.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Reply to
whit3rd

Lew said: { Having to pull the appliance out of a cubby hole to gain access to the innards, all the time making sure you don't plow a groove in the floor covering gets your juices flowing, especially at 10:00PM on a work night.

Then realizing that you don't have the special tool the repairman has to get at a special screw in order to make the repair, frustrated you ask yourself, "How the F**K do I get out of this mess?"

You have two choices, go down the road above or wisely avoid the trap. }

--- My dad would have sided with Lew. I've got a 15 year old television that I would not repair if it broke either. It seems to help me to think of it like that than as a ($) opportunity lost...lol Thank you for your help and support folks!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

But you still have not said what WW tools you put in the dishwasher!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Obviously, most of the ones that won't seem to fit anywhere else! All the space under the bed and dressers is already taken...

Seriously, since I started collecting old tools, I feel a little like a "hoarder".

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It may not be the motor. Check for clogging in the water lines, and the spray arms.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

? "Bill" wrote

You may find the pump and/or solenoid valve in that area. I think you need more troubleshooting before taking the motor out.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I believe in repairing things if not too costly. Bought new a Whirlpool washer in 1961 and a Whirlpool dryer in 1967. Did minor repairs on both and in 1997 gave them both to a son. He is still using them. He has replaced the pump and belt. Think how much it would have cost if we replaced those items when ever they had a problem. Also the newer Chinese crap won't last half as long. WW

Reply to
WW

I believe in my unit that the pump and the main motor are sold as a single module/assembly. Given the "whining" that occurs (not my whining), I'm not sure there's much left to consider. Does the solenoid valve do anything that could cause a lot of noise?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Oh, Jeez! Don't talk about hoarding! Wife's got me reading a book on hoarding. She's got the idea that my valuable collections of books, tools, cameras, model railroad stuff, and magazines is somehow hoarding. You're not a Real Hoarder until stuff like a couch can't be used for its intended purpose.

You can obviously still run the dishwasher if you can hear it whine. Say, you haven't left a cordless tool running in there have you?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

If he bought it 8 years ago, it was already 'Chinese crap'. The newer Chinese stuff is actually better.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

? "Bill" wrote

Properly operating, it is either open or closed with a little hum from the magnet when held open. If the magnet it getting a bad signal, it can vibrate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Got a Maytag washer and dryer in 1979 that replaced the ones that the movers mangled. Since then I've replaced a belt, a couple of hoses, a timer, and a fan. And they still work as well as they ever did. I don't see any point in replacing them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have actually worked on dishwashers and with a similar problem. It could also be the water pump making that noise, it basically run when the motor runs.

A dish washer is not terribly hard to work on if you pull it out and tip it over so you can get to the bottom where the motor is. I replace our first dishwasher water pump/and motor with it setting in place under the counter. Silly me.

My sister bought a KitchenAid and it did not last as long as yours, 15 years ago. My wife and I bought a KitchenAid about 5 years ago and returned it to Sears shortly after purchase, it was a $1000+ unit and it did not clean.

Prior to getting the Kitchen Aid we had a Lady Kenmore, manufactured by Whirlpool. It still ran great after 14 years however the baskets were beginning to rust and stain the dishes. Both baskets replacement cost was around $400 and we decided to put that into a new unit.

After returning the KitchenAid we went back to the Kenmore Elite built by Whirlpool. We are the type of people that don't wash the dishes before putting them into the dishwasher. We remove bones and seeds.

We just bought a new home and traded the unused GE dishwasher for a Whirlpool Gold series. We are very pleased with the unit and expect at least 14 years of use. I still prefer the Kenmore version of the Whirlpool, it has larger utensil baskets. Sears would not take a trade in.

Reply to
Leon

Tell me about it. I'm more of a tool collector than a woodworker.

-- If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered...I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. --Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thank you for your detailed review. This will help me when I look at them (Sears has a 15% off sale Sunday evening...).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

What is your current or next project?