Delivery notice (maybe OT?)

Many of us buy some materials and tools mail order. Most shippers will send you a tracking number so you know when it will arrive. Did you also know you can get a delivery notice from UPS and Fed Ex even if you are not given a tracking number?

If you sign up for the FREE service at both Fed Ex and UPS you can designate where you want a package left or what door you want the driver to go to for delivery. You can have a package held or taken to a nearby shipping center for pickup.

All you have to do is sign up and once you are in the database, you get the notice at least a day ahead.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I have been doing this for several years.

Signing up must be new, in the past I could simply, with UPS, check status of a delivery and edit delivery or pick up at that point.

Reply to
Leon

You could if you had the tracking number. This works even if you don't know a package is coming. The choice of delivery (such as side door, on porch) remains as you setting for every delivery.

If Grammy sends you cookies for your birthday, you know it a day or so ahead of arrival.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In my case the notice from fedex would read "Never unless you want to come get it yourself".

I no longer expect much from fedex, they can't find my house even after making multiple trips to the local ground office and filling out direction instruction cards.

It is bad enough that I won't do business with anyone that doesn't offer an alternative to fedex, if they only ship fedex it means an hour round trip for me to pickup at the ground office, not worth the hassle and expense.

I realize that millions of people rely on and have good service from fedex, but there has never been a successful delivery to my address.

UPS always manages to deliver on time and without drama.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Certainly prefer UPS. Had an expensive gift lost/stolen by FedEx. It was supposedly delivered to me with an address that included a nonexistent block, and signed for (in cursive), according to FedEx by none other than F. Rontdoor (sic).

They flat refused to do anything about it.

Reply to
Swingman

Ohhhhhh! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for the tip, UPS always leaves it by the garage even in the rain,

20 feet away is my front door with a large overhang.

One of my Rockler deliveries was so soaked ,when I picked it up everything came out the bottom.

UPS drivers are a bunch of Aholes for not putting it under the canopy of the front entrance.

Reply to
woodchucker

Give them a GPS co-ordinate.

Reply to
woodchucker

That might work...

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

--------------------------------------------------------------------- I live in a gated complex that is not manned so if you have a gate key it is very simple to gain entry.

The USPS and UPS solved this problem a long time ago, but not FedEx Air even though their office is less than 3 miles away.

I was convinced FedEx Air would screw up a wet dream, then something happened.

As a result of some acquisitions, FedEx now has a ground service in addition to it's air service.

Funny thing, even though the FedEx Ground office is almost 50 miles away, they have no problem delivering to my door.

FedEx Air is still screwed up.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Seems to be just to opposite here, air is ok, Fedex ground couldn't find their ass with both hands, a flash light and mirror.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I periodically get pen-making supplies from Penn State Industries. They have my address to include a 5-digit Zip Code. They always offer me an update, to include Zip + 4. First couple of times I accepted the update, UPS drove right past my front door, turned around down the street, past the front door again, and off they went. Checked the tracking number, saw the message that they could not deliver because there was no apartment complex on the street where the address is. Took two local calls, one each the next two days, before the package was finally delivered... both times. Both times, I had to ask them to write on the package, "This is a private residence, NOT an apartment address" - which to their credit they did, and that is how I finally got the packages. So, I went back to refusing the address update when offered by PSI... and sure enough, UPS has not had a single problem delivering packages to me from PSI since...

Reply to
Matt

In my previous house, FedEx ground was always delivered by USPS. Their air was delivered by FedEx truck. I just had a debit card delivered[1] by FedEx twice[2]. Both times it was left propped up against the front door.

[1] old one got skimmed somewhere, sometime, but that's another story. [2] First to my old address, they were kind enough to resend it FedEx.
Reply to
krw

That was scary. UPS knew my wife's Birth Month, My sister (married name)... my Bday, all my previous addresses.

All in the name of security... quite un-nerving...

Reply to
woodchucker