Damn Olson blades.

On 11/20/2016 10:18 AM, Brewster wrote:

Rubber with a slight crown.

Belt sanders have a crown on the rollers too.
I would venture to guess that the crown allows the blade to pivot slightly. If the blade on the cutting side is pushed back slightly the rigidity of the blade causes the blade to come forward on the opposite side of the wheel to counter act the tendency to come off of the wheels.
It makes sense that if ther is a high spot on the wheels you want that spot in the center vs. the front or back.
A high spot was on both front and back would cause the blade to dull quickly.
On 11/20/2016 4:18 PM, Leon wrote:

Not all. my 6x48 have straight drums. But my 1x40 has crowned wheels.

--
Jeff

Mattias Wandel explains this: http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/crowned_pulleys.html
--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC
peterbb (at) telus.net
On 11/20/2016 7:11 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

Thank you. That explained tracking and at the end of the video another witness that guides are not necessary per the comment about the band saw mill that used no guides and had teeth on both sides of the blade for sawing in both directions.
On 11/20/16 6:11 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

Very nice. The "stretching" from the crown makes sense, negative feedback control loop!
-BR
On 11/21/16 9:05 AM, Brewster wrote:

:
My tires are flat rubber hoops, but out of curiosity, I placed a square across the tire surface and sure 'nuf, there is a very slight crown, maybe 10 mils at the center across 1 1/4" of width. My wheels must be machined with an ever so slight crown (learn something every day!) I still run narrow blades (1/2" and smaller) with the teeth hanging off the front of the tire as recommended, never get any movement, but I'd assume that tweaking the tracking is effectively putting a pseudo-crown under the center of the blade.
-BR
On 11/22/2016 10:45 AM, Brewster wrote:

Teeth off the front of the rubber? How old is the saw? What brand? I wonder if the tire is worn. Old saws didn't have much crown and had rubber, which hardened or wore down. Maybe your tire needs replacement.
I let my narrow blades ride in the center. I don't usually have to touch my saw, other than set the thrust bearing and guides.
--
Jeff

On 11/22/2016 12:41 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Many Italian built BS's have "rubber" tires. My Laguna has rubber.

On 11/22/2016 2:52 PM, Leon wrote:

I'm not questioning the rubber, I'm curious about the teeth being off front (assuming off the rubber) That too me is what I don't understand. I never heard of that.

--
Jeff

On 11/22/2016 2:37 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Oh., Well some blades are wider then the tires.... From there I don't know.
On 11/22/16 11:41 AM, woodchucker wrote:

Yep.

2003
What brand?
MiniMax 16
I wonder if the tire is worn.
Nope, just SOP for these saws.

I fried (melted) my tires when I was resawing some really tough wood with a 1-1/4" 0.035" thick blade, about the max I'd ever try to tension on that saw. Usually the tires are supposed to last "forever" (_they_ say), but other then the melted sections, the rubber was nice and pliable. Bummer is new rubber ran $40 each.

I could run in the center, but the teeth would tend to eat up the tire surface given the minimal crown. I have a 1960's 14" Powermatic that is more typical in that the blades need to run in the center. This saw has flat machined wheels so the tires supply the crown. I replaced the original rubber with urethane, which were also flat. The tire mfg. suggested building up the crown with strips of tape placed in the center of the wheel (under the tire), 1/4" strip on top of a 1/2" strip. The crown is visible and the blade loves to seek out that high point.
That second saw lets me keep a 1/4" blade on the 14" saw for general cutting and curves and leave the MM set up for resawing. BIG time saver not having to swap out blades in the middle of a project.
-BR

On 11/23/2016 10:06 AM, Brewster wrote:

I have not had to replace the urethane tire on my Delta . I would have thought the urethane tires have the crown built in. But I don't know as I've never taken off the tire. Maybe some do and some don't.
I usually run a 1/2 blade unless doing something curvy. So my narrower blades get much less use.
Thanks, for the info, I had never heard of that, but I guess it makes sense.
--
Jeff

Not necessarily achievable with any band saw. I learned that guides were not necessary, on a good saw and blade when I view sited Mnimax for a private demo of, IIRC, an MM16 band saw 10 years ago. Unfortunately the only MM16 that they had to show was missing the upper and lower guides. I was not happy about that but the rep said they were not necessary on a rigid saw. Right he was, he and I both made several cuts, straight and curved, on several thickness woods with no problems. Ultimately I bought the Laguna LT 16 HD.
On 11/12/2016 6:56 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Congratulations, little drummer boi! Your gut-wrenching ignorance is now permanently archived for the amusement of future generations of woodworkers worldwide! LOLOK
http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi?ID 7900684900
Please pardon me while I push my guts back through the hernia hole that laughing at your post has caused me to do.
On 11/12/16 9:33 PM, Laguna LT24 wrote:

Awww, how adorable. I have another anonymous pussy, internet stalker troll. Thank you, I'm flattered.
--

-MIKE-

replying to Leon, Travis McDowell wrote:

Lonnie Bird was at our local Woodcraft last Saturday demonstrating his line of CMT router bits. I showed Lonnie your message on my iphone he said you were more full of shit than a thanksgiving turkey then lectured our class on the staggering amount of misinformation on the internet.
On 11/22/2016 4:25 PM, Travis McDowell wrote:

Who is Lonnie Bird?
He is there to sell you something. I got my information from the MiniMax rep. Granted you should use guides but you can saw with out them.
I suspect the Minimax rep knows worlds more about this subject than him.
On 11/22/2016 7:04 PM, Leon wrote:

And to bring you up to speed on this. I visited the home office at Minimax to demo the MM16. Unfortunately for both of us, me and the rep showing me the saw, there were no guides on the MM16. We sawed with guides anyway per his comment that you can saw with out guides.
We sawed with OUT

Lonnie Bird wrote a book on bandsaws. The typography and pictures were better than the same vintage Duginski book, but I don't remember enough about the content to give you an idea of its quality.
Puckdropper