Craftsman Compucarver Machine

"Anyone have one? or used one"

Apparently not. After 44 posts in response only one writer seemed to have something to offer of a relevant nature - the web site of the Carvewright!

there are 44 opinions left by folks who never touched the machine much less watched it work or operated it.

Well, you said "Any", didn't you? "Appreciate any views or information on this machine"

Elliott wrote:

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

ok, so maybe you weren't blasting me for posting out of order specifically, but for something. In this thread, before this post, I had responded 17 times, 201 lines, 2294 words, 12 743 characters. Then, only because you decided to post after me, not because of me, did I find your post claiming that I was techno-babbling about something. Had it not been where it was and you had not reprinted the whole thing I wouldn't have any idea what was going on . Good. No idea. Check your dates. Or interrogations.

Reply to
bent

it won't do your shoes.

Reply to
bent

btw, if you want to point me to the relevant details on the correct syntax for posting. Particularly the part where it says date should be excluded....ah, shhh; you didn't say that.

Reply to
bent

obviously, on the subject of posting in order, I know what I'm talking about, right

Reply to
bent

I hope I'm not the only one who's priority sort is by date so what's at top is what's current. And I do appologize to those without a news provider, and newsreader, and for the state of the economy, global warming, etc.

Reply to
bent

This is a (hopefully last) response (by me, bent) to post made by by JT on

08/01/2007 8:19PM where he blasted me for making fun of him by using the similar words "etch-a-sketch", and bringing up the "why are you responding to me" problem. My ((2) etch a sketch comment(s) were made 07/01/2007 at 5PM +/-4 mins. Though on my computer, JTs "etch-a-sketch" comment, the original "etch-a-sketch" comment comes farther down this posts thread, it is nonetheless dated 06/01/2007 1:23PM, prior to both the offense noted and offense (alleged)

If everyone posted as I often post this would never happen. If you are pointing out something to someone immediately preceedeing, just make it known. Its a post-order thing, not an attack. If text is needed, I include it, otherwise I drop it. Most of the posts I have in here, though generally an addition to what I have said before, do not require an explanation.

Yet you acuse me of being rude:

Well, because you reerenced etch-a-sketch, it's possible you're referring to the post I made. But, it's really impossible to say for sure, because you don't bother saying to whom, and what post, you're responding to. That's just plain rude.

I'm not suggesting I'm just saying, if everyone were to use reply to group by highlighting the previous post in time, not the one a few up, or the one at the top, things would sort better, and things wouldn't be condfused with posts said at one time posted weay down in the sorting order. I am assuming you didn't receive an e-mail (if you did it is unintentional). While in the mean time, if I try to keep this clear,everyone is gonna blast me for criticising them!! It is space and time, it is not someones newsgroup to dictate you cannot post after someone, especially since NO IDEA. How am I come to make a comment about someone else making a comment about a comment I made about that same somewone. The reference to the offending words were made first, but appear last. The only way to make this work is for everyone to either never or always use the same posting proceedure. Which is the one thast makes sense? The one that uses order and date, or the one that uses date only? I actually don't know - i'm trying to figure it out. Anyone, can you help.

Reply to
bent

| Anyone, can you help.

Some - keep the attribution of the post you're responding to and quote the particular portion of the post you're talking about.

Morris Dovey

this is to do with the origin of my use of the term "etch-a-sketch". In a computer controlled m/c, say a compucarver, say you can put in a spinning in the x-y plane round-head router bit. Next say that you have to draw the part that you have to machine (with the round head router bit), OR you can write the code. If the part where to look like a square 3D cube, you would have to direct the cutter head to pivot/reposition its spinning axis into the x-z and y-z planes. Say you have to draw the part in the 3 standard principle orthographinc drawing views, Front, Top, and Right. To include all the features you have to image looking form an infinite distance away from F, T, or R positions, and include all the hidden lines (in the drawing) for machining. Imagine the object was a porsch 911. You do not make an infinite number of views so all points of the features of the car are perpedicular to the page. So how do you draw a front fender from the back of the car? No object has labels, just best for making the drawing, and back (of the car) can mean Left view in this example. You imagine what a drop of water would do if it landed on the very highest position of the line of that feature. As it follows gravity. You follow it, with your pencil/cursor. You have to either code yourself, or draw all features. This is as basic as it gets. btw JT I don't expect nothing, cept maybe constructive critism.

bent: Rarely would a program be written in G-code.

Morris Dovey: Eh? I'd guess that depends on the operation. More than 95% of the part programs used in my shop are hand-coded (I hand code 100% of the g-code part programs).

bent: yes, I guess it may be inverse in the ww field ,where not a lot isn't self-evident w/r/t features. Impossible with any 3D stuff. Not that there isn't 3D involved, but on a etch-a-sketch level. I bet one ornamental mantel "wing" in the compucarver is thousands of lines long, and probably not even know code if code is even available.

Reply to
bent

(Even I can see now; overall) why this could/should/would help, it doesn't solve the problem, but what do you mean by attribution?: By name?: mentioning the immediately preeeding poster, or poster you are respondidng to. "To the group?"

I often think I am just giving info, don't even think about sentence structure, TWIMC ,and as previously stated is.... "about the topic"

QQQ What is attribution aww forget it

Overall I hope someone learned something, besides me.

Reply to
bent

Personally, I'm learning more and more about less and less uintil eventually I'll know everything about nothing.

Maybe I'm dyslexic savant. If I filter out everything others have to say, I'll have everything I need to know.

Reply to
bent

----- BENT scribbled: ---------

Posts often get to Usenet servers at different times, if at all. Don't assume what you see as a thread is what others will see.

I often have no idea what you're referring to, so I skip your post.

Sure! Do you see how I left only the information I'm referencing? Try it!

White (empty / blank) space between thoughts is also a valuable tool.

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've also been told not to ask more than one question at a time, and to number them. As if more information is bad, or one can't remember what the question is/was. I don't know what you said, whats yur question, theres too much information, only one question. Number these. Don't ask any questions. Uhhh, I can't help you. Leave me alone.

Reply to
bent

maybe if anything

had to do with anything

Reply to
bent

oh, that was for B A R R Y about what we were talking about before. I hope you see this in a timely fasion, and it answers your question

Reply to
bent

bent wrote: | (Even I can see now; overall) why this could/should/would help, it | doesn't | solve the problem, but what do you mean by attribution?: By name?: | mentioning the immediately preeeding poster, or poster you are | respondidng | to. "To the group?" | | I often think I am just giving info, don't even think about sentence | structure, TWIMC ,and as previously stated is.... "about the topic" | | QQQ | What is attribution | aww forget it | | Overall I hope someone learned something, besides me.

Look at the top line of /this/ post. Any doubt about who wrote the stuff I'm responding to? That line ("bent wrote:") makes clear that it's your post I'm quoting and responding to. That line attributes (gives you credit for) the quoted stuff.

Not all posts show up on all news servers; and posts that do show up don't necessarily appear in the order that they're sent (someone on the other side of the world - or even down the block might not see this post for a half hour after I send it).

The attribution helps to clarify who wrote what. If you snip all of the previous post(s) and/or remove the attribution(s), it begins to appear that you're having a somewhat strange discussion with just yourself. This makes readers antsy and, if continued, they'll begin ignoring what you write. It has about the same value as eye contact in a face-to-face discussion.

FWIW, grammar and spelling do count on usenet. There are no language police; but the ability to express a thought coherently and correctly contribute to credibility - almost as much as knowing what you're talking about. :-)

Morris Dovey

It certainly does.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Quoting William James Hall from Harvard University in an article entitled "A Quick Guide to Newsgroup Etiquette",

"When you are following up someone's article, please summarize the parts of the article to which you are responding. This allows readers to appreciate your comments rather than trying to remember what the original article said. Summarizing on usenet is generally done by quoting excerpts of the original post. Quoted material is usually indicated by > marks at the beginnings of lines."

See:

Nova

STOP IT PLEASE!

I withdraw the original posted question. Wished I had not started it.

It was only an innocent and honest query which provoked more man-hours cost in computer time than the cost of the machine. I'm sorry I brought it up.

Reply to
Elliott

Sometimes it gets out of hand, but generally speaking I can go back and fill in the gray areas with simple text in brackets and it all makes sense. There is anything really important missing. Just a lot of it. Maybe I'll think along these lines in the future. I'm not on the subject of rocket science, and I don't want to feel scared about saying something (obvious afterall) quickly.

Reply to
bent