Bosch Washing Machine Problem

Our Bosch Classi XX 6 1200 Express seems to have got itself into a state.

My wife thinks she set it going as normal then, accidently, pressed another button or buttons, as she reached over the machine after it had started.

We've tried restarting the program. Turning off and leaving.

There is no mention of a "reset" or this fault in the instructions.

Display is 43 and the red light on the start button is flashing.

Any ideas, please?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Whaat does google say the error code means?

NT

Reply to
NT

This is a motor fault. Not limited to but most likely to be worn brushes. Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thank you, further Googling had suggested something like that.

I was hoping for a "reset" option. Thankfully, it is under 2 years old so still under warranty.

What is it with modern appliances- one of our first washung machines lasted

17 years. Our first Microwave about the same. Later ones have averaged a 3 or 4 years and our new AEG microwave is the most unreliable bit of domestic appliance junk I've ever come across.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

Have you tried unplugging it from the mains for a short while? That's successfully 'rebooted' our Bosch in the past

David

Reply to
Lobster

Modern stuff is built for people who have come to expect very short lifespans from products, I think; the majority of folk don't realise that things *could* be better (that seems to apply equally to appliances, cars, computers etc.)

As I've said before in other threads, our current washing machine is 25 years old and runs at least once a day - as things stand I can still get parts for it (not that it's needed any); I'll only retire it once parts aren't available *and* I can't make my own.

Our dryer and cooker are a similar vintage. Our fridge turns 35 next year. Our well pump is 40 years old... and they all do exactly what I need them to do, so there's absolutely no need to upgrade to something modern which I bet won't have anything like the durability or lifespan.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Part of the problem is changing standards and technological advancements. Take a few examples since the 80's:

1) video recording (including non recordable home playable media) Laser-disc, Betamax, Phillips 2000, VHS, VCD (less so in the UK), DVD, Bluray 2) TV - DVB, satellite, HD DVB, HD sat

3) Computers - if your hardware survives more than 5-6 years, it won't run the lastest bloated software

4) A few descrete leaps in technology but now the smartphone is basically a PC in your pocket where 3 applies.

Think how long 405 analogue TV survived, then 625 colour. Rather than making one jump and sticking with it for 20-30 years, there are micro jumps at frequent intervals.

Fortunately, with TV, one can choose to stick with a level - I don't need HD and we only watch a few special programmes.

People have got so used to "upgrading" every few years with the above technologies, they don't think a washing machine, freezer or hoover (whose improvements are usually very small) should last 2 decades

And yet, anyone over 40 will remember expecting just that and those under 40 will have had parents who thought that.

My Hotpoint freezer was bought in 1995, my Bosch tumble dryer around 1989 and both are in my kitchen now running faultlessly.

I am on my second kettle since 1995 too and the first one was subject to very hard water (gold plated "plate" element, wise choice, very resliant).

Washing machine and fridge date to 2003-2005 because I sold my previous on with my flat, didn't need in rented (came with house, until they died, told the landlord I'd buy my own then).

I'm on my 3rd generation of home computers since 1998 ish, the second generation (circa 2001-2002) only died last year after giving sterling serice as a backup server. On my 3rd laptop - they do traval every day - but second generation is limping along on daughter's desk.

It is still possible to get long service, but it requires a reasonable amount of effort to buy well to start with and also not to be a fad-jockey - or at least have a place to use the cast offs until they really die.

As far as I'm concerned there is nothing worthwhile they can do with TV until they invent holographic projection ;->

Reply to
Tim Watts