Polyfilla vs plaster

Is there any point in polyfilla? Isn't plaster better?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Horses for courses!

Reply to
Roger Mills

For small patches it is easier to sand down polyfilla. Ideal for painters who need to get on with it. Plaster is cheaper but requires a lot of fettling and you never geta flush finish as it takes days to shrink. After wich it goes hard as stone.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Polyfilla is flexible, plaster is rigid and cracks easier

Reply to
F Murtz

Depends on the polyfilla. I used some which requires the use of a belt sander to get anywhere at all. And I've gone through many sheets of sandpaper. It would be easier to sand rock. I suggest the "lightweight" polyfilla!

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I see. Thanks.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Eh? Pretty sure normal pollyfilla isn't flexible...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Relative to plaster I can believe it is.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I've used easi-fill as a compromise before. It's like plaster in someways, but much easier to work with (even I can skim with this stuff :-)) and is sandable (well, much more than proper plaster) for the times it doesn't quite go so well :)

Not sure what the max depth is though.

D.M.Chapman

In addition to the other points, finishing plaster has very little bonding capability, so you will need to use a bonding agent to make it stick.

Plaster isn't much good for tiny repairs (dries before it sets, doesn't bond to substrate, etc), where polyfilla works much better.

Plaster needs pressure to make a smooth surface, which isn't easy when you're doing a small repair flush with existing surface. Polyfilla just needs a wetted flat edge to make a smooth surface as it sets, without the pressure, so you can do it flush to existing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

And toupret is probably better than polyfilla. The question really is what do you want to do with either of them?

:-) Charles

Reply to
Charles

In a similar related vein what is the difference between the stuff sold as joint filler (for plasterboard joints) and classic polyfilla? The former smells to me like there is some active lime in it how does this help and are the two usable interchangeably?

I have some joint filler left over (and no polyfilla to hand).

Also what is the stuff that they used in Victorian/Edwardian houses that to all intents and purposes sets into a high density limestone almost a marble finish? The appearance is inbetween the two rocks.

Reply to
Martin Brown

sander to get anywhere at all. =A0And I've gone through many sheets of san= dpaper. =A0It would be easier to sand rock. =A0I suggest the "lightweight" = polyfilla!

as for that nights dinner he cooked it.

k. He pulled one aside and asked, "Did I screw up the cooking?"

TROLL.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

sander to get anywhere at all. And I've gone through many sheets of sandpaper. It would be easier to sand rock. I suggest the "lightweight" polyfilla!

For making a sensible suggestion about polyfilla? What the f*ck is wrong with you?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott