Ready mixed Polly filler or ready mixed plaster ?

Hi,

I have some wholes in a new flat I've moved into, quite a few, one is where the door handle of a door has been smashed into the wall going right through it and the rest are wall plug holes and dings.

Its all plasterboard I think, so what would be the best product to use to fill them ? polly filler or plaster ?

Thanks

Reply to
Stephen

Stephen wibbled on Thursday 14 January 2010 15:56

If the hole < about 10mm, polyfilla.

any bigger and you will need to be patching a small piece of new PB into the hole level with the surface - don't worry, it's not hard.

You'll be better off with polyfilla for small repairs IME.

Reply to
Tim W

Red Devil "ONETIME" filler (or Spackling to a septic)

little hard to find but look on eBay; TLC Direct; or independent hardware/tool suppliers.

Fantastic stuff. Truly fantastic.

Reply to
Vortex4

either works fine, as do several other types of filler. Get whatever's cheapest in the amount you need.

NT

Reply to
NT

Wickes do an identical product

> Fantastic stuff. Truly fantastic.

It certainly is. Don't use much else.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Polly filler? Do you stuff parrots?

That's a hole new story ... ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Plaster goes "off", ie it'll set *very* quickly when old. A mix it yourself powder filler is my preference. I've never got on with the ready mixed fillers, the ones I've tried have been "gritty", a bit dry and thus not very sticky and you have no control on the consistency. Ready mixed also have a shelf life, dry powders don't provided you keep 'em dry.

Sort of rules out a 25kg bag of plaster for fiver. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

dry powders do have limited life oncce open, unless you seal them up airtight

often does. Lugging a dirty 25kg bag about puts a lot of people off too.

NT

Reply to
NT

Can't say I've had any problems with dry powder filler that must have been(*) at least 10 years, old probably nearer 20, stored in a dry enviroment in it's cardboard box with the paper bag just folded over a few times. Not just a one off either as I've also used stuff that I bought in the mid to late 80's in the last few years. The tube of ready mix was next to useless a year or so after opening and wasn't very nice to use either, too gritty, even when freshly opened.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

its certainly an issue with plaster

NT