Filler advice needed

I now live in a bungalow that has had its 1960 ceiling lights pulled out and replaced by GU10 LED fittngs.

I need to fill the holes (around 2cm in diameter) and to fill fine cracks in the ceilings generally. There is also some minor wall damage.

What is the best ready-mixed filler that I should buy or do I need more than one?

TIA

Reply to
pinnerite

considered over-boarding the whole ceiling?

Reply to
Andy Burns

A sledgehammer to crack a nut?

Reply to
pinnerite

Any light filler from B&Q or a decorating store will do. Don't try and get it level first time. Let the first application set and add more until it is right.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Cracks in a ceiling are usually caused by movement. And most fillers - although saying they are flexible - are not.

Decorators caulk will do it, as it is pretty flexible. But it shrinks as it dries, so will likely need several goes to get a nice flat surface. No problem, if you're not in a rush.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

you do need more than one

You need something strong and structural to glue some plasterboard into the holes - after that use LIGHTWEIGHT filler to achieve a cosmetic result.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and sand it back if it is proud

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use Gyproc Easi-Fill 60 for this sort of thing, it doesn't set as hard as some other fillers so is easy to sand down to get a good finish to paint over. The 2cm holes will need doing in stages, maybe mixsome easifill into some thin fabrick/net, roll up and stuff in hole to just below the surface. When set finish of with just easifill. Plenty of suppliers, just google it.

Reply to
Davidm

Now 'er in doors was helping her elderly parents do the same and being the non-DIY'er she decided she was going to plug all the downlighter holes with Oasis plugs, you know, that firm foam used for flower arranging.

The ceiling was going to be skimmed over anyway so she plugged then filled with fine filler. Would you believe it actually worked... in fact it worked so well aparently that the plastere that came to skim the ceiling said he'd be using the same method for all his hole-plugging jobs.

As far as we know they're still crack free.

Couldn't do it myself but sometimes the craziest ideas work.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Oh and Er indoors' Uncle who is a big DIY'er/decorator said he mixes filler with paint for ceiling cracks rather than trying to "fill" hairline cracks that always re-open in time.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Having not done this for some time I thought someone with regular experience might say "Whooppee filer" is the must have.

Thank you.

Alan

Reply to
pinnerite

A 60's bungalow will not have a very flat or smooth ceiling anyway so probably in need of a professional skim, so what you plug the old cable holes with doesn't matter. try Wickes fine surface filler.

Reply to
Andrew

I'm confused, The old 1960s holes are a lot bigger than 2 cms.

So, the 2cms is the excess hole, round the new lights?

In which case, what is holding those up?

The best light filler I've found is 1-Strike.

Reply to
GB

I would get some mesh behind the ceiling holes and push the first fill of filler into the mesh. Ideally, stick the mesh to the back of the ceiling with one of the expanding foam adhesives. Once the first fill has set it's easy to get the next (lightweight) fill slightly proud and then sand down.

Reply to
nothanks

Or that wallpaper that goes on the ceiling?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Now I have to find mesh. :)

Thanks. I have always handled large holes by inserting strips of hardboard or ply with a couple of protruding nails as handles and the edges primed with NoNails or similar adhesive. Pushing them through and using the nails to wiggle them in position. Next day, pull the nails out and plaster the filler on.

Thanks for the tip. AS

Reply to
pinnerite

halfords sell it for car repairs.