Basic washing machine?

Is there such a thing out there as a very basic washing machine?

Variable heat and two spin speeds - simples!

An elderly relative needs a new one and they all look like Spock's control panel ... There's just got to be a bog standard one out there.

Many thanks,

Neil

Reply to
neil

We've got one of those super, does everything ones. It is however dead easy to use, as almost everything these days can be washed on the one setting, so press one button twice and then start. We rarely use the other settings.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Thanks Steve. Something simple to use is what I'm looking for. Could you give me that make and model of that one please.

Many thanks Neil

Reply to
neil

Argos

ProAction A105Q Washing Machine

1 rotary knob and 3 buttons
Reply to
Eric

Many can be left set to the same prog and simply switched on and off. That's pretty well what I do with mine all the time.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well if there is I've not seen one but the turn knowb panasonics seem pretty simple to me. the buttons can be safely ignored bar one as that switches it on!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've got a Bosch Classix 1200 express machine, with one rotary knob to change the program, one to change the spin speed, and three buttons, one to start, one to extend the rinse time, and the final one to extend the wash time. It's got a 1200rpm spin, too, so stuff somes out almost dry.

I don't think they come much simpler nowadays, and it does a good job, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

Sure, the machine is not at all simple, it's a Hotpoint Ultima (I can't remember the exact model, probably a WM71 1600) and it's actually pretty complex (LED display, loads of pushbuttons, etc.).

For just about everything though, you just chuck it in, press the Acrylics button twice (the first press wakes the display from sleep) and the seconds selects the program (subsequent presses alter the temperature if you really want to) then press start - with modern, low temperature detergents, that's fine for most stuff.

The spin speed can be cycled through its options with a separate spin button before starting.

They look very complex (and are), but accessing basic washing programmes is simpler (one dedicated button for each) than the old-fashioned rotary selectors where you have to get the number or letter and colour right. Most of the other complex machines are probably as easy if you don't bother using all the bells and whistles.

We mainly use just the Acrylics wash or the Fast wash and rarely use the other options.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Eric - thanks for that. Looks just ideal for her.

Reply to
neil

Thanks to all who answered. At the moment the ProAction A105Q looks appealing. Anybody know how reliable or not they are (as if any are these days).

Neil

Reply to
neil

Best avoided. Hotpoint was a good brand once, now its bottom end with dressing.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

This has been fine with large quantities of washing (3 kids) for a number of years now - unlike the Hoover that went faulty, boiled the water and melted the soap drawer the second time it was used!

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

But things have moved on since you bought it...Hotpoint are now rubbish.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Two Zanussi washing machines over the last forty years. Only got the second one because I got tired replacing the Perspex catch on the first one every five years.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Really? Its name has always been synonymous with "unreliable s**te" as far as I can recall. Of course my memory of white goods only goes back to the

1960s, so perhaps you were talking about an earlier decade?

Where it has always been.

Reply to
Steve Firth

+1

The old "numbers in a bucket" with at least two different "standards" for the numbers between machines and wash labels was awful. Yes, this machine has lot's of buttons but you just push the button coresponding to what you've just shoved in it...

Also have a Hotpoint Ultima something. It works, a number of years old now, still works.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The most basic washing machine I have ever used is a small screw top barrel with no buttons knobs or dials, no electricity either. Just fill with water, soap powder and clothes, then strap to roof rack of Land Rover and drive over rough African tracks for a few hours. I'm told other country's rough tracks work just as well.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Sounds extremely fuel inefficient.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also the rinse and spin cycle could be slightly problematic

Reply to
bod

Not if you're going that way anyway...

Combine the shopping trip to the nearest town and the laundry.

Reply to
John Williamson