washing machine sealed drum bearings

My Hotpoint WMUD 962 washing machine needs new bearings and it apparently has a welded outer drum (I've not checked). Apparently the bearing can be changed with a little bit of skill if you drill holes around, split the seam (dremel / hacksaw etc. ?) and bolt back together with sealant. OK (if SWMBO will let me try !), but anyone done this and has a list of gotchas ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Maybe I am lucky, but I have never had to replace washing machine bearings (in about 45 years). Usual problem of course is a seal failure and these days that suggests to me a design problem. Sounds like quite a long and potentially fiddly job, not sure I would even start it.

Reply to
newshound

I replaced the bearings in an older Hotpoint (they were simply driven out and in), and it was a pain (in fact, the problems brought me to this group for the first time).

When the machine finally became uneconomic to repair, I made the mistake of replacing it with a new Hotpoint, and it failed within 15 months - bearings again. Given the sealed drum, the parts were over £100, so I opted for a fixed price repair for £98 all in. The technician was very quick, and said he did so many of them he was getting good at it.

When the machine failed again just over a year later, I dumped it for a Bosch Logixx.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Just done a quick search on Ebay and a genuine Hotpoint complete replacement inner and outer drum, bearings, seal, pulley and heater element is £95. That is an all plastic outer drum though, so I don't know what yours is. It looks like it cover your model. Item No.

173907958977.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yup (against the best advise). ;-)

1) Strip machine. (13 month old Zanussi off Freecycle) 2) Drill tub bolt-flanges out to take a suitable SS bolts, whilst they are still perfectly aligned (we used M6 machine screws, rather than the self-tappers it would have come with, had it not been welded). 3) Cut round tub flange using saber saw. 4) Remove drum from tub, replace bearings and seal, refit drum. 5) Offer the two tub parts together and see if there is still clearance between open end of tub and drum. If not, find suitable spacers (we used ss washers) for the gap. 6) If applicable, find some suitable diameter neoprene cord to form mechanical seal in groove (scarf joint at the tip) designed for a seal (but now cut though). 7) Apply CT1 sealant around both mating flanges and re-join tub halves. Allow to cure overnight. 8) Re-assemble washing machine and enjoy for a further ~8 years. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

How thick is the flange? - I mean if you get the saw out of line and slice off to one side, you've had it !

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Maybe I am lucky. We use the WMUD sometime 2 loads a day, and it has lasted 5 years so far. The bearings have not actually failed, not grinding yet, it's just that the "silent" machine sounds like a freight train / jet engine on spin. To be honest it lost it's initial quietness within a few months but stayed OK until recently.

Simon,

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Anything particularly good about Bosch Logixx (design etc.) ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson
<snip>

Maybe 5mm / side?

Only really if you come off the flange completely because they will go back together the same way.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

One good thing is that it is easy and quick to get spare parts for most Bosch stuff. Logixx is the top end.

I thibk we've had the Bosch 8-9 years. The only thing with the washing machine is that I couldn't get the end off the pump to remove a coin or similar. It was gunged up and it stopped the thing turning. I now pop it out every six months and clean it. On that occasion I got a new pump, and then refurbed the old one as a spare.

The dryer has also been fine apart from having to clean out the front of the heat exchanger - sons don't clean the removable filters and a lot got through because as we removed the filters, fluff dropped inside. To fix that, rather strangely you have to cut out a pre-scored plastic panel and replace it with a screw-on one3. But it works well.

Reply to
Bob Eager

If you include dishwashers, I'm on about my sixth Bosch in 25 years. Life has always been reasonable, I've replaced a couple of sets of brushes and some shelf rollers.

Reply to
newshound

Our last Bosch dishwasher made about 14 years before I decided it was time for a new one. It was used heavily (partly because we could only fit the narrower one in).

In the 14 years: one drain hose, one new bottom to the cutlery basket (yes, it came separately) and two very inexpensive kits (under a fiver) to refurb the detergent dispenser.

The current one is several years old and I've done the detergent dispenser once; that's all.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Damn. My previous ONE lasted longer than that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Vibration leaks and balance come to mind. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Blimey our Indesit is over 20 years old.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yeah, I've only had two washer/dryers since 1987.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our Hotpoint lasted 15 or so. But it was heavily used (babies/children, not that we put them in directly).

In the end the motor blew up, and what with the other things (bearings going, etc.) I decided I wanted a quiet life for a bit.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Andy Burns snipped-for-privacy@andyburns.uk wrote in news:gko29mFllr5U1 @mid.individual.net:

I have had 3 since 1974 - all Indesit.Basic washers - no built in dryer.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's not your washing machine, it's her washing machine.

Reply to
ARW