Washing machine drum not revolving.

I have a tricity bendix caw 811 washing machine.

On xmas eve it developed a fault where it sounded like it was working correctly, but the drum did not revolve. It fills and drains, makes all the correct noises, but the drum does not move. I can move the drum easily by hand.

What are the possible causes of this?

Just to add something which may be connected.

At the time the fault first appeared, I turned off the water supply to the house as I was working on some taps in the bathroom. I did not know the washing machine was in use.

Steve.....

Reply to
Steve

could be a simple snapped drive belt. You can normally see this by taking off the back panel, and looking for the rubber belt that connects the motor to the drum. Sounds like it has snapped.

If so, they are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Reply to
Martin

If it was a Hoover I would check the following:

Does the motor use a drive belt to turn the drum and has this come off or broken? I don't think this has every happened to me but is a theoretical possibility

Do the bushes in the main motor need replacing? I typically have to do this after 6-10 years ownership.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Does it sound as if the drive motor is running when the drum fails to rotate? If so, the main drive belt has probably broken or fallen off.

[I would hope that running it with the water turned off wouldn't have done any damage. If the design is only half way decent, it should have water level sensors which prevent things like heating elements from being turned on if the water doesn't arrive].
Reply to
Set Square

IF you spin the drum by hand (fast!) does it feel like it is connected to a motor? (Try spinning a working washer to hear what it sounds like!)

If not, then I suspect the dive belt as others have If you do hear the motor spinning, then either the motor, motor controller, or interconnecting cables have failed!

How old is the washer?

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

The machine is about 5 years old.

If I spin the drum by hand, it is very easy to spin. Feels like it is totally free running, so I suspect the belt theory is the right one. I will get it out and have a look tomorrow.

When it is powered up and put through a cycle it does sound as if the motor is spinning away,(albeit very quietly).

Thanks to all. Happy new year to you and my washing machine, :)

Steve......

Reply to
Steve

Pulled washing machine out, and there on the floor was the belt in good condition, so put it back on and the wife has been busy all day. She was nagging me to go out to the sales and get a new one.

Steve..

Reply to
Steve

Do you suspect her of removing it then? ;-)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle