Garbage Disposal tripping mains

Okay, I'm not up to speed on everything about this (the hubby is, but he's not able to type right now). Our disposal, an In Sink Erator Model

55, is tripping our earth ground in the house when we turn it on. Only started yesterday, worked fine up to that point. It's 3.5 years old (hmmm..warranty for 3....). When it trips the earth ground, all the sockets in the house go off, and some of the overhead lights.

Now, the electician we got to do the re-wiring SUCKED. Horrible. I plug one thing into a circuit and it blows the house. But the disposal hasn't been a problem before.

The disposal also looks like it has been leaking a little...the bottom of it is wet (not dripping), and when I pushed the reset button (it did nothing), my finger was wet with about 2 drops of water.

It does turn on, run for about 1.5 seconds, then the power blows.

Anything we should look for? To get an electrician here is about a 2 week wait, this time of year. The plumber is a write off at this point, since he's so busy...we're going to book him for June for some minor stuff, so that we can get him

Thanks for any ideas...

Elana Kehoe

If there is moisture in the reset switch, it sounds as if there is a seal that has gone.

An electrician probably wont be able to do anything, as it sounds as if the unit is faulty, and the breakers are dong their job!

If you don't feel up to taking the thing apart, then you may be able to get it serviced somewhere...

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

You could just think about replacing it - we did this when ours went and it wasn't a very difficult task - the new one just clipped into the brackets under the sink that the old one came out of.

Reply to
Harry Ziman