washing machine bearings

Hi,

Our washing machine is loud on the spin. I wondering whether that is a sign the bearings need to be replaced? OTOH if I was spinning at

1400rpm, I'm sure I'd make a noise too! I think the problem is that an increase in noise is gradual, so you can never remember what it was like before, to see if it has got worse.

I think the machine was bought about 2001 and IIRC it must have had a

5 year manufacturer's guarantee because I remember someone replacing the bearings for us in about 2006.

On the basis that they lasted about 5 years last time, I suppose they could be due for replacement again.

I understand it involves taking the machine apart and came be a big job, so I am wondering is there a way to check that they really do need changing before I embark on this?

In an ideal world, I would look at the spider and decide whether that needed changing but I'll get in trouble if the machine is in bits for too long. Should I just order a spider at the same time and change it regardless?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

You are indeed lucky to have a machine which has replaceable bearings these days, many are direct drive and the whole drum and motor are one very expensive unit.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a kind of loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could feel the slight play when the back of the machine was accessed, £10 replacement and easy enough to fit.

Reply to
ss

I'm thinking by the time I have stripped it down, I may as well change the bearings too, so that I don't have to do it all over again another time.

Reply to
Fred

worth checking the spider before anything else, my machine made a >kind of = loud clicking noise on spin and it was a worn spider, I could >feel the sli= ght play when the back of the machine was accessed, =A310 >replacement and = easy enough to fit. I'm thinking by the time I have stripped it down, I may= as well change the bearings too, so that I don't have to do it all over ag= ain another time.

I think that the spider is normally easier to replace. Most machines have = a removable panel on the back that lets you access it without having to dis= mantle the whole washing machine.

Reply to
AlanC

Open the door and try lifting the drum vertically by the top of its front rim, if there's any play in the bearings you can feel it. If so it suggests the bearings need to be replaced.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields

... where "most" doesn't include Zanussi, or at least not the last two washer dryers that I have had. Rather than the easy-to-service removable panel as shown in the Haynes washing machine repair manual, these machines have a casing made in two halves, where you have to remove only one half at a time from the plastic inner frame. Each half of the casing is just about strong enough to support most of the innards but you have to plan a dismantling project very carefully, like the one I replaced the "tub seal" on. Sadly a few weeks later the main bearings went, and while I was plucking up the courage to fix it (and obtaining the necessary bearing puller) the motor packed up so that was the end of it.

I replaced it with another Zanussi with a very similar construction, which has so far had several faults (water valve, dryer fan, motor brushes) but fortunately nothing yet that involves a full stripdown and removal of the plastic "tub".

Good luck! Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud