Bosch Miter Saw

pid=GCM12SD

I just took a look at one of these. Neat! Instead of sliding along a couple of bars, the miter saw glides very smoothly along articulating joints. Pushing the blade cartridge sideways didn't seem to have any effect, unlike my Kobalt which deflects a bit under just a little sideways pressure. (My first thought was "I bet that eliminates that problem.")

I wasn't able to get the tilt controls to work, but since it was a store demo that I was just looking at, I didn't try too hard. They're located on the front of the saw instead of somewhere on the back.

It looked like the motor was belt driven, so it should be very quiet. Interestingly, the blade guard has wheels on the front which means it will slide along the work. This allowed the guard to be all the way down on the table while moving the blade.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Where have you been? That's been out 4 - 5 years I think. The 10" just came out too.

The reviews are mixed... nice saw, but some people WERE having problems with a dead on cut. The saw was not perfectly perp.. They said there was some twisting or drifting going on, and bosch told them it was not adjustable, which does seem odd. seems like there should be some cam of the bearing holders to align it.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:XOGdnUfecdmax63OnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

At my local industrial supply store. Always fun to stop in there. :-) I'm thinking of going back and getting the dial caliper they had for $19.

I wouldn't have known to check for a perpendicular blade. I'll have to keep that in mind if I go looking for another CMS sometime.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

IME I can get a perp cut, but you have to be very methodical about it. You have to let the saw come up to speed before beginning the cut because it has a real kick on start up and be very deliberate about pulling straight through the cut. There is an adjustment for taking play out of the mechanism, but it can only go so far before it starts to bind things up.

Not traits one would want in a very expensive device, but it works when you get used to it.

Reply to
Mike

So how often do you get one out of square? Seems like a little lack of focus could make it be a problem.

Reply to
woodchucker

Likely it would go out of square if it were used by a contractor and or his employees with the saw bouncing around in the bed of a P/U.

Reply to
Leon

You are correct that a lack of focus causes problems. I don't get out of square cuts very often, but if I haven't used it in a while, I make a few practice cuts (3 or 4) before using it on a project. I can usually make it through the project without blowing one then.

I'm sure Leon is right about bouncing it around in a pickup. However, mine is attached to a bench and doesn't travel.

If you are wondering if I would buy it again, probably not.

Reply to
Mike

Thank you. I had read the reviews and even though the saw was zero wall clearance, there were enough complaints that I took a step back. I still think the Kapex even though it is 2x the price, might be worth the price. It just has so many good features and is well respected. The dust collection on the Kapex is the highest rated..

I just can't afford it.. not now. If a used hitachi came around with the forward rails for under $100 used, I would probably bite just to have a miter saw again, but would still buy the kapex when I can afford to. My son is almost done with school, and that will help, although I'll lose my dependent.

Reply to
woodchucker

FWIW I have a Delta 12" CMS. When I only had a Craftsman TS I used it a lot for cross cutting. When I bought my first cabinet saw in 1999 I pretty much quit using it as I was able to get far superior cuts and accuracy with the TS. I do on occasion wish it was still had it set up for rough cutting boards to "easier to work" lengths. Instead I use my jig saw. Just something to think about, you can buy some nice cross cutting sleds and miter gauges for less than the price of a Kapex or the articulating Bosch.

Reply to
Leon

Those big Bosch bi-metal blades aren't that expensive when you consider the alternatives.

Makes me feel better knowing The King of Festool sometimes does it the quick and dirty way.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

LOL...