Big iron... nice saw with good price.

That saw price might be a typo, but you never know. The same Allentown listing says $500, also.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Seems like a giveaway to me, too...of course, most recreational wwr's won't have the room or the need so demand likely isn't terribly high. But, in a major metro area one would think there wouldn't be trouble getting more than that if one had any patience at all...

Reply to
dpb

Leaving aside this fellow's spelling quirks, what do you suppose "duel

14" blades" means? Perhaps just that it comes with a second blade?
Reply to
Greg Guarino

Nope, they're dual-arbor...

Reply to
dpb

Maybe he means you can cut on either side of the blade with a miter guage (I see 2 miter guage slots). There are other spelling errors too, so I wouldn't read into it too deeply. Why don't you ask him?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On 3/25/2014 9:24 AM, Bill wrote: ...

No, he means it is dual arbor -- see link in other followup.

See the big round casting? The two arbors rotate in there to allow setup for production work between two blade setups just by rotating arbor position instead of changing blade. Dado on the other was typical setup.

Reply to
dpb

Here's a Fagan, not Oliver, patent but same idea. Quick search didn't really find a good picture of an Oliver itself that clearly shows the dual arbor arrangement...there was a 260 in the ww shop down at Navy shipyard in Norfolk where my cousin was stationed way, way, back...

Reply to
dpb

Thanks. I had never heard of such a thing.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

According to

An old Oliver Model 90 bench saw. It is a dual arbor saw that, according to Oliver literature, was designed to be a smaller version of the model 60 dual arbor saw. Overall it is very similar, 2 14" saw blades carryed on a rotating yoke, sliding table, flat belt drive. The model 60 carried 2 16" blades. As with the Model 60, a single larger blade can be used, in this case 18".

Reply to
Drew Lawson

That's cool, I guess you could mount a rip and crosscut blade and switch quickly.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yeah, these are _serious_ iron for production shops; not just overgrown Unisaurs...

Reply to
dpb

Yeah, if I were within a day's drive of Philly I'd already be on me way...

As noted, these are serious machines...the shop where I've seen one in operation was at Norfolk Navy shops almost 40 yr ago. They had it set up w/ standard combination on one and a dado set for jointing on the other.

Reply to
dpb