new table saw vs new fence system

I have a very old craftsman table saw the the fence system requires hammering to move it. I am looking at new table saws in the $550 price range vs replacing the fence system.

Mine looks a lot like this one:

biggest issues for me are not having to keep readjusting the fence to have it perpendicular to the blade and safety. Newer saws have more safety features.

Reply to
lzoto

I inherited an old Craftsman tablesaw from my Dad when he died. It was a low end model, and the fence was the worst part of the saw. We were building our own house so I really needed accurate cuts, but couldn't afford to upgrade to a better saw at the time. So, I installed a Mule "Accufence" on my cheap little saw and it made a world of difference:

used it to rip down framing lumber, and to build all the cabinets for our house. With my limited budget at the time, it was a wise investment. However, I later picked up a used cabinet style Craftsman tablesaw ($750) and have found it to be a much better saw. Of course, there's a big difference between a $200 fence and a $750 saw.

Basically, if you can afford it, try to buy a better saw (new or used). If your budget is limited and your saw is in good condition, go for the fence. A decent fence can make even a little junk saw into a precision cutting tool.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

I remember once hearing that a good fence on a cheap table saw was better than a cheap fence on a good table saw.

If everything else is working fine I'd go for a new fence. But check the blade runout, make sure the blade is parallel to the miter slots, etc..

I just remembered - wasn't Sears infamous for using non-standard miter slot sizes? If yours is one of those, be sure you can live without a lot of aftermarket jigs that depend on a 3/4 x 3/8 slot.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Seems the new fence option is the most recommended.... and I agree, since a new saw option is not practical, now. If that is your consideration, buy the best fence for your present table saw AND will also be the best fence for your future upgraded saw.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Personally I'd tear down the fence and see if I could find out what was wrong with it before I spent money. But if it's really not fixable you're not going to get all that much saw for 550 bucks--Ridgid used to have a _real_ nice one in that price range but it's been discontinued and the replacement is not nearly so well regarded.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Craigslist. I see the same exact saw locally all the time. (within <

50 miles) There's a million of 'em. Go get another and have parts for the next time. Wrench a little, learn a lot.

RP

Reply to
RP

Have you checked your local paper or Craigs List? There is a lot of good newer/used equipment out there for sale. My neighbor just purchased about a 3yr old Delta cabinet saw for $200 off of Craigs List,(wish it were mine)

Reply to
<jmohnike

550 and some patience can get one a very nice used table saw.
Reply to
-MIKE-

Got my barely used Delta 36-982 on CL for $225.

Reply to
-MIKE-

------------------------------------ Jack up a good fence and drive almost anything that wants to be a table saw under it and you will be happy.

A crappy fence leads to analitis which gives you a crappy outlook on life.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Damn, that was a steal!

Reply to
Steve Turner

I know. I remember when I posted my original drive-by, Robo said something about KY jelly for the guy I screwed. :-)

I had the nerve to talk him down from two fiddy.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Reply to
Michael Kenefick

My Craftsman saw had the typical unreliable fence and the arbor runout was dismal. I knew it wasn't the best but I didn't realize what a difference a Delta cabinet saw could make. The pleasure of setting a Unifence with confidence can't be overstated. And ripping boards to exact width with glue line sufaces is a pleasure.

Max

Reply to
Max

In spite of what Craftsman has done during the past 20-30 years, some of those older machines are pretty good ones. That page you linked has three saws shown. Is yours the top one? If so, I have never seen one like it.

If it is, it might be well worth rejuvenating (actually all 3). Have you tried disassembling the fence, cleaning it and reassembling/ lubricating as required. If not you might be looking at an aftermarket fence. I have a Grizzly 1023s that uses the ShopFox Classic fence (a Biesemeyer look alike). The Biesemeyer is pricy. The ShopFox is around $260. Might find either one on Craigslist at a much better price. You should see if you can find size and specs on their web sites to make sure it will fit your saw. I know Grizzly has some info on their site.

- Grizzly sells the Classic design in iron and aluminum. I have the Classic and like it very much. Our son has the Aluminum version on his Grizzly contractor's saw. I have used it quite a bit and it is also a good fence. I would shy away from their "Z" version of their fence. Too many moving parts.

Reply to
RonB

The Rockwell Beaver contractor's tablesaw that I use which currently resides at a friend's place, I bought new in 1972 for $180. For several years I used it as is with the stock fence and steel saw blade ~ all the while being unaware of the possible upgrades I could do to it.

In 1987 I upgraded the fence to an Excalibur and bought my first carbide tipped blade. What a TREMENDOUS difference they made to the quality of my cutting. It's still the same contractor tablesaw that vibrates and shakes all over the place, but with the upgrades added to it, I'm prepared to match the quality of my rips and cross cuts to most any table saw out there. So, please keep in mind that there's a good chance you don't have to buy a better table saw, just more exact cutting tools to add to it.

Should I find a suitable (and affordable) location to set up a small workshop, I'll most likely buy a cabinet saw, but I'll always keep in mind that buying a better saw is not as necesary as I once thought it was.

Reply to
Upscale

If the max is $550, I'd go with the fence. If I was in your position, to step up to a better saw and fence combination, it would be a minimum of $1000 to $1500. For $550, you get a mediocre saw with marginal fence. Good fence is a dream to work with.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I also bought a Mule fence for my previous old Craftsman. Make a few wall cabinets and other cabinets for my garage woodworking shop. If I have to do it again, I will insist on a Mule, Accufence. You can't go wrong and I can guarantee it is as good as Anthony said. The only thing wrong my Craftsman is

3/4 or 1HP (forgot, underpowered). Sold it cheap when we moved and replace it with a Unisaw.
Reply to
WD

I agree. If the saw is any good at all, put a good fence on it and it will do great work. Not a waste either as you can transfer it to the next saw if yoiu buy a new one.

Reply to
CW

Have you looked at the Incra TS-LS fence and router system? That looks sweet. A little pricey, but nice.

Reply to
lzoto