BWOT: Bet you never saw a band saw like this one! : )

Long ago, on one of the govt auction websites, there was a "Jig saw" listing. I clicked onto it and there was one of these huge 3 phase Doall industrial bandsaws. LOL.

Reply to
Sonny

Usually a posting with such a glaring error is made by a wife undertaking a divorce and she wants to make a bit of money from her husband's toys.

I've seen several mislabeled tools:

"Hand saw" really a Skil saw or power saw "Table saw" really a radial arm saw "Work bench" really a pair of sawhorses with boards laid atop

and more.

Reply to
HeyBub

and using his radial arms saw which in reality was a miter saw, on his TV WoodWorking show

Reply to
Leon

And one the tool junky will leap upon. $20 for that Crapsman "band saw", if working, isn't bad at all.

Or spite value... ala "2007 Porsche Boxster. Must sell quickly! $7,500 OBO"

Haven't we all? Old cigar box mixed in with half full quart cans of 25 year old paint, full of "old tools" for $4.00 at an estate sale netted me an almost full set of plane blades for a Stanley 55. One or two had actually been used, the rest still had a burr on the edge and had never been touched.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Forgot all about that guy ... a wood butcher if there ever was one.

Reply to
Swingman

Like the San Diego woman who sold her soon to be ex-husband's Mercedes for $5 a few years ago.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

people involved really want to sell anything. A lot of time, the names are not only wrong, but misspelled as well. And any way that they can screw it up, they will.

Common craigslist gaffes I have noticed include;

  1. False or moronic addresses in real estate ads. Often three streets are given. Needless to say, mapping programs require two streets. And they list all kinds of things that the mapping program can't use. I have looked up commercial address many times that show whole continents because the address was nonsense.
  2. Wrong name. Like the "band saw" above. If these folks would just do a Google search with the name they are using, they would find out quickly that is not what is being advertised. If you can't identify the item, how are you going to sell it? All kinds of red flags here. Were the items stolen? Do they have any idea of the value of the item? Can a deal be worked out with some one who is profoundly ignorant? Etc., etc.
  3. Atrocious spelling. I have seen million dollar deals being presented by folks who can't spell simple words like warehouse or equity. Do you want to do a big deal with a functional illiterate? These folks have obviously never heard of spell check.
  4. Blind links. Go here to confirm ... And there is nothing there. Again, who wants to do biz with some one like this?
  5. Profound ignorance. Misnaming things in one thing. But to imply that you have product knowledge and clearly demonstrate that you don't screams NOT HONEST!! Who wants to do biz with those kinds of folks?
  6. Wild pricing. I can't remember all the times I have seen absolute junk or old, rusty crap being offered for up to TWICE the price of new. I guess their profound stupidity is trying to reach out finds folks of similar intelligence.
  7. Tiny pictures. Or sideways pictures. If you are going to use a photo, use something that will be helpful. Putting up something useless just gets people upset. Again, how do you sell something by pissing people off?

There are probably a few more things I can't think of at the moment. I like craigslist. I have made some good deals on craigslist. But I feel like I am tip toeing through a mine field. You have to be careful. Not only are their crooks out there, there are masses of morons. One is just as scary as the other.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Why WHY *WHY* must there be so many stupid people in the world?! It's so depressing...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Our local paper would not do that. For a while though, there were people selling "arm saws". I guess they were not the radial type.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Jack

I've only scored once. Man took a new job in California and left his wife with orders to "dispose of everything, sell the house."

I got a Craftsman electric mower, used one season, retail price of $240 for $30, an economy table saw for another $30, and a fold-up workbench for $10.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Bill

Ha ha! :)

Reply to
Bill

Maybe they were medical saurs.

-- Truth loves to go naked. --Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Don't you love those pictures. A long time in setup for the sale.

Dump the price automatically ?

Mart> Bill wrote:

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

To the seller's credit, at least there was a picture!!!

Half the sellers don't trouble themselves, even for stuff that cost hundreds of dollars or more.

Reply to
Bill

I think I like your "band Saw" better that the guy in Wesy Indy!

Mike > >

Reply to
Kenefick

Thanks Mike. It's probably my least used tool but really nice to have it when needed.

Reply to
Jack

OSHA alert! OSHA alert!!! :)

--