WOW saw this on craigs list... it's a beauty, and the shop is impressive too.

Wow! Just Wow...

Reply to
Bill

Wow is right.

Reply to
Leon

Wow is right. That's one helluva "Jerry" rig.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Bet you he still does not have enough clamps.

Reply to
Markem

I don't think the slab in my gar^H^H^Hshop could withstand the load!

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

He's got a few (see slides 21 and 22) but you're right, probably still not enough. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't think the side of my head could withstand the slap from SWMBO!!!

Reply to
Dangre

That's a beautiful thing.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yes, but for the same money you can buy at least 60 Craftsman table top saws. Or make a down payment on the Festool model.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nice saw. I've never seen one. Satifies the soul somehow to see something old restored. I recently looked at a nice lathe restoration on southbend's site.

The reason for the two blades is: A) to get around the deficiency in blade design at the time* B) longer time between blade changes C) something else D) none of the above

I choose A with a little of B.

I provided D to allow for those that insist on the contrary.

*new blades work fine for either cut
Reply to
Electric Comet

One for rip, one for crosscut.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I believe A and B would be correct. Way back when, 1944, I don't believe that there were blades that could handle all cutting operations as well as today's modern blades. Not having to swap out a rip and cross cut blade would have been a big time saver in an industrial environment where time is money.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe, if you've got "lots* of horsepower. A while back I bought a Freud Fusion blade which makes glass smooth crosscuts -as good as the vaunted Woodworker according to those who've tried both. But it's got too many teeth for ripping on my contractor style saw - it bogs down. I now go back to my trusty thin kerf rip blade for ripping.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes and no.. the combo blade works well at ripping and I do use it for most rips, but if you have to rip a lot of wood, I put a rip blade on. it's faster and more efficient.

Reply to
woodchucker

You're saying that your saw lacked power to push the blade. This oliver saw has two large motors. So I still think as I do about the design of the oliver.

Reply to
Electric Comet

+1
Reply to
dpb

Yup... sometimes HP is the answer. That really hit home when I helped my father with a project and had to rip a scribed 2X4 on his Shopsmith with a thin kerf blade. OMG!!! Beyond a crawl feed rate the saw wanted to stall. I didn't realize how spoiled I'd become with my 3 HP cabinet saw! With a WWII blade it is more than OK but with a Freud rip blade it really shines. The Shopsmith... for rare use I guess it would be OK.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

How do you like how how the rip does cross-cuts?

Reply to
Electric Comet

It sucks! It will cut the wood but in all seriousness, you get a ton of tear out.

Reply to
Leon