Craigs list. WHY?

If you are a woodworker, why would you spend 900 for something you can easily make?

woodchucker

Half of every woodworking catalog is filled with stuff you could make for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep, I realize that, but this is exceptionally high priced for what would cost about 50-70 to make using 2x4 and an mdf top (compareable to what was built).

Reply to
woodchucker

Well, the guy's got a fully-equipped metal-working shop and is looking to find a market for a metal product. To completely mix a metaphor, when what you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

Yea I agree, but what I can't get over is the fact that someone paid this guy for the first one.

Reply to
woodchucker

I wouldn't mind having a nice table like that... just need a much bigger shop and more discretionary cash! ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Why not. Maybe it will sell.

When you have some time check out the wooden stuff "artists" make. My current favorite is a piece of old wood with holes drilled in it. It is a pencil holder made from "historic" wood.

Tom

Reply to
tomwalz

Agree, that is pricey. The purchaser should thank his lucky stars it doesn't say "Festool" ... although the Festool MFT would probably be a bit cheaper, and a helluva lot more versatile in the long run.

Reply to
Swingman

It is well built for sure, but for approximately $9.00, I'll stick with mine, exceedingly humble as it is. ;)

Swingman

Apparently, he makes outfeed tables to accommodate shops with unlevel floors, like mine.

He has shims under his table, same as mine. My 4'X6' outfeed table costed $10.... I bought 4 physics lab work tables (formica tops), $20 per pair, at the state surplus auction. They are pretty stout structures.

I ripped one table in half, length wise, and use it for jointer infeed.

I have a table and a half not in use, at the moment.

$900 does seem a bit much.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Mine is a bit fancier... courtesy of Woodworkers Warehouse folding. On the last day of their clearance sale I grabbed a side table for a dollar or two. As I recall the side table was for a Dewalt saw... I ordered a couple Delta side table legs for it and plowed out some grooves for the miter gauge. I attached it to the fence with 1/4x20 bolts and wing nuts. On the rare occasions when I have to move the saw it comes off easily.

This brings back fond (even manic) shopping memories... On the last day of WW clearance I bought all kinds of stuff... a couple different sets of cope and stick and a bunch of other shaper cutters, a bunch of rub collars, etc., for pennies on the dollar. It seems that shaper accessories were the lowest demand items so there were lots to choose from on the last day... During the week before that I picked up a 3 HP Jet cabinet saw with an x-acta fence, rails, and side table for $800. A bigger dust collector, mobile base for the cabinet saw, furniture dolly, and a bunch of other stuff... What makes it even better is that I've actually used almost all of it! LOL

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I think I'd like to be able to buy plywood for what you're paying for it ;-)

Reply to
krw

At Festool prices, I've got a pretty good idea what "MFT" must stand for.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I would love to find some chem lab or physics lab soap stone tables, the black type.. They would make excellent glue up table tops. They are solid, flat, and you just use a scraper to remove the glue... Plus you can do all your dirty work on them and just clean them off. So any mechanical (that you would not drop a motor on and crack it) that top would be excellent for.

Reply to
woodchucker

---------------------------------------------------------- Check out your local Home Depot contractors who do the kitchen rehabs.

Strike a deal with the top guys to get an "OOPS" top.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Would love to but until I get employed again, we go into austerity mode. The jobs are few and far between, and the rates are dropping drastically.

My son will be making more than me when he graduates next month at the current offer rates. While my foreign counterparts (working here on a visa) are telling me the numbers they are making is going up. That's sight unseen... meaning the recruiter has not seen my resume, nor theirs, but that is the range... so its like the 80's when if a company did well, their stock went down.. when they did poorly their stock went up... Funny how things get upside down.

It's been this way for a while. Welcome to AMERICAAAAA.

Reply to
woodchucker

How about a teflon, or nylon sheet on top? Make for a slick table outfeed, too.

Reply to
Morgans

Maybe if you need a table to park your motorcycle on?

Reply to
adsDUMP