Want basic info.

Is there a guide to or directory of websites etc. for woodworkers? I'm interested in finding the cheapest/best sources for hard woods and equipment. I went to Amazon but seems to have only how-to and no where-to books. And the books I have seen are also very scarce on practical info such as how to go about making money by keeping costs low. Thanks.

Reply to
Help!

Thom

Best and Cheap seldom go together. Sort of like Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick two.

As for keeping costs low - well if you start with the money you intend to pay yourself that should do it - just barely.

Expecting a How To Make A Lot Of Money Doing Woodworking - In Your Spare Time For Free book, and probably for less than $5, seems a bit naive (sp?).

Good luck though.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

It sounds like you are really looking for an introduction to the gentle art of scrounging. I don't think you'll find a book on it--some people are just naturally good at it and others aren't. Can you pass a dumpster or a tag sale or a pile of junk left at the curb for the garbage collection without stopping to see if there's anything good? Do you read the classifieds and Craiglist every day? Do you frequent thrift stores and flea markets? Are you on a first name basis with every tree surgeon in a hundred mile radius? Have you stopped by every lumbermill and sawmill in the phone book to see what they've got and what they charge and whether the haggle? How about every hardware store and tool store? Do you know other scroungers who can turn you on to things they spot in _their_ scrounging?

As for making money while keeping costs low, if you're looking to get rich by making furniture good luck. It works the same way any business does--know what your costs are and what the market will bear and if the first is more than the second then change something before you run out of money.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Speaking of Craigslist this could turn out to be a great deal for someone

they could also get ripped of like this

RayV

you over the air compressor) I said the air compressor is NOISY. (Why would my hair dresser want to go to Jersey?) B) the cooling impeller is made of plastic and likes to shear off. It's a knack. C) the pressure switch is about $80 to replace. DAMHIKT We only had two ... but that was too many.

Bill

(Oh, btw, the stupid petcock could hardly be made any cheaper. Plan on keeping a spare around.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit