Looking for ...

I seem to recall a support member made of concrete used as corner supports for a deck. My recollection is that it was a cylinder about

10-12 inches tall and about 12 inches in diameter at the base. On the top, there was a cross patters that would accommodate intersecting 2 bys. I've come up empty on my searches on google and the big box stores ... probably because I'm using the wrong nomenclature.

Anyone ever seen one of these? Or can point me in the right direction? Number one son wants me to help with a 10x10 deck this weekend and is dismissive of my recommendation to sink 4 inch posts beneath the frost line.

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

I haven't seen round one's but plenty of square pyramid shaped ones. Try googling "pier blocks" or "foundation blocks". Art

Reply to
Artemus

Your son might be dismissive of your recommendations but I'd check the local building codes. In my area it's required to have a 12" concrete filled sonotube supports set a minimum on 4' into the ground for any raised decks. As dumb as it sounds to me, one town requires them even for deck built at ground level.

Reply to
Nova

Thanks for the lead. Found 'em at Lowe's. Easy when you know the name of the gadget for which you're looking.

I counseled my son to get a permit ... or at least check the code. He declines to do so. (He's at that stubborn age.) Worst case, he's gonna get an introduction to the perils of frost heave.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Check the building codes. In our area (Nova Scotia) you may use these concrete blocks as deck supports, as long as the deck is free standing, not attached to the house.

I have used them with success. I dug a hole about 18 inches deep, filled with compacted crusher run (3/4 inch gravel mixed with crusher dust), and put the block on top. They have not moved through 3 winter/spring thaws.

cheers ...

brian

Reply to
Brian

I used them for a free standing deck, in Vermont. I'd built the deck free standing (the previous deck caused the rim joist and sill to rot out) on 4x4 on 8" sonotubes down 4'. Every year the frost heaved the sonotubes out 4-12". Every year I had to relevel the deck and every other year I had to rent a concrete saw and cut off the sonotubes and fit new 4x4s (a RPITA). After six or so years, the Sonotubes were completely out of the ground and I replaced them with pyramidal deck blocks. Every year after that, the ground heaved in the winter and settled back down in the spring. Problem solved.

Reply to
krw

How far down do you get frost in your area of Vermont?

Reply to
tiredofspam

Some years the frost would get pipes down 7-8'. I've since moved South where the frost line is *maybe* 6". ;-)

Reply to
krw

Nope. They were mains at 7' and 8'. The roads were a mess. It was an unusual Winter.

Reply to
krw