Bosch 12" axial-glide miter saw.

This is different:

Edward Hennessey

engineering for the sake of engineering?

Reply to
J. Clarke

> But is it really a better design or just typical modern German

JC:

And there's the rub. I'd have to see it in action or go hunting for reviews. Another thing meriting mention is it is not cheap. 760 was the lowest price encountered.

If anyone has it or beats me schedule's opportunity for prowling the commentaries, it would be interesting to hear the outfall.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Reminds me of when I saw a Festool miter saw up close and personal.

I wanted one. I didn't need one. I already had a miter saw. And I couldn't afford it.

But I still wanted one.

It looks like great engineering. It also looks expensive. I wonder how well those articulating arms would hold up in the field.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Know the feeling well. If I were a trim carpenter, I'd have one in a heartbeat ... along with the MFT table, and the ...

ITMT, the Makita LS1013 perfectly fills any need.

But I still want one ...

Reply to
Swingman

This CMS definitely appeals to wreckers with a severe case of tool lust.

JoeG

Reply to
GROVER

Sheesh.

RicodJour

qSdnTVPdPas7F_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...> This is different:

That's the question. More joints, more freedom of movement, more potential play in the mechanism. The Festool "reclaimed that real estate" by moving the rails forward. Bosch can't do a direct copy of the Festool design, whether or not it's patented, because there's German pride on the line.

RicodJour

> But is it really a better design or just typical modern German

I say, yes, it's better, if only to save the space behind the saw.

Reply to
-MIKE-

it. I'm glad I don't need the extra precision.

-- I am an old man, but in many senses a very young man. And this is what I want you to be, young, young all your life. -- Pablo Casals

Reply to
Larry Jaques

In news:1qSdnTVPdPas7F_RnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com, Edward Hennessey spewed forth:

it works as well as their other tools, I'd say it's a keeper But I'm partial to Bosch and Milwakee

Reply to
ChairMan

Even if it isn't rigid enough to maintain accurate angles?

Reply to
J. Clarke

That was my concern after watching the video. There's a lot of joints there - a lot of room for slop.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Who said it wasn't rigid enough? I haven't used one, so I don't know. But I have used some tube sliders that had way too much play for the price.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Who said it was?

Bingo. So does this thing address that problem or does it make that worse to gain something else?

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 12:42:17 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote: [...snip....

I went looking for reviews. Here's one:

some snips:

No laser? How can that be???

Anyway, sounds promising to me. Beyond my budget, but in the range of other top end miter saws.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

ote:

{and one of mine!}

Well, that certainly is a glowing review, but I'd never heard of that web site, so I wanted to see what sort of review they gave to the Festool CMS. Umm, they didn't. They haven't reviewed a single Festool item, other than the new Systainer and a 3rd party saw blade. How can that be?

That's kind of an odd omission, no? Maybe that's one of the Mercury News type of review sites that always give glowing reviews to movies, even the ones that suck. I know the Bosch doesn't suck, but they just bought right into whatever Bosch fed them, have no on the job experience with the saw, and, well, it's not even on the market yet. Time will tell if the linkage stands up to use and abuse.

RicodJour

You like to assume the worst, don't you? :-) I take for granted that a $700 Bosch saw is going to be built very well. And you know, what? If it's not, I take it back for a refund.

I guess we'll find out.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I'm an engineer. We don't just go rah-rah at every new "innovation" that comes down the pike.

I don't take anything for granted.

Reply to
J. Clarke

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 11:11:10 -0700, Jim Weisgram quoted:

I'd have to argue with that. Sealed ball bearings do degrade over time, although in this case "time" may be long enough to not matter.

I have worn out a couple of sets in the steering stems of motorcycles :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard