band saw blade length question

Good Morning

I had a Grizzly G0457 14" bandsaw. Grizzly says that the length for the blade is 106". I would like to change the blade to a Timberwolf or Woodslicer, but they only offer blades at a 105" length. Question is, will the 105" blade work or am I limited to buying Grizzly only blades?

Thanks Eldon

Reply to
Dave Nissen

If I were you, I would measure the length of the blade path. It is not too difficult; diameter of wheels times PI plus twice the center distance of the two wheels.

Reply to
Dave W

Timberwolf will indeed make a blade to the length that you specifry. Just give them a call and they will be happy to assist.

Reply to
Leon

You can definitely measure the blade while it's on the machine. If it's a ways off the standard 105", most "real" bandsaw blade retailers will weld blades to any length you want (i.e.

which I believe is the manufacturer for timberwolf blades, although there's been some discussion here of declining quality recently. Or call Iturra Designs and get one of their catalogs, which has a number of very informative articles as well as a variety of bandsaw blades and accessories - 1-888-722-7078 - unfortunately they don't have a website) Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

How much can you adjust the top wheel? Mine moves several inches. To adjust for the difference between 105 and 106, you only have to change the position of the top wheel by 1/2".

If the only blade available were longer, you could get into the problem of the top wheel hitting the cover when adjusted upward.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Eldon... your blade is probably 105" but IMHO that's a rough measurement... I use 105" blades on my Ridgid but I back off enough tension when blade changing to see that it would probably take a 103" blade, so my guess is that a 106" bandsaw would have no problem using a 105" blade...

The only problem that I can foresee is that if it truly requires a 106" blade (which I kind of doubt), then your tension gauge might not read correctly for your initial adjustment???

Mac

mac davis

Both timberwolf and the HH woodslicer can be ordered at a custom length (at no additional charge, I beleive). I have done so.... However, for the WS, HH made me wait about 4 weeks... their web site says that it can be up to 6.

-Steve

Reply to
C&S