Caftsman Table Saw Fence 24/24 any good?

Allow me to start by saying that I know there are better brands... I can attest to that by the fact that I have a very nice 10" Delta tablesaw sitting in my shop right now... Allow me to also say that it's leaving in a month or so and returning to its owner. (as to why it's on loan is a long story not associated with this question) which returns me to my own saw.

On to my question ---->> my normal saw is an older Sears 10" contractor table saw. It's a solid saw and cuts oak, ash, walnut with no problem. However.... the fence is absolutely atrocious to use. I have to do the measure front and back to make sure it's square or close. I've been looking at the aligh-a-rip 24/24 as an upgrade and wonder if someone who has one can give me some info on it.

Does it lock close to square? Do you still have to measure front/back to make sure it's close to square? Does it move easily on the rails? Is it worth it to do that or stick with the standard fence?

I understand there are Beismeyer, Shop Fox, Excalibur, and a multitude of other fences that are light years ahead of the 24/24 out there....right now my budget isn't quite up for those. Not whinning it's just the way it is right now.

Any info is greatly appreciated.... Thanks!!!

Reply to
bremen68

I suggest a Beis clone. Jet makes a Beis clone fence that you can add to your Craftsman saw.

Reply to
Leon

I have the rails and fence from a Craftsman 22114 I could let go of...where are you located? Maybe we could work out a swap if you are interested?

Thom

Reply to
Thom

I had one of those on my old Sears saw--now long gone, replaced by a Unisaur, but that's another story. To answer your questions, yes, no, yes, yes (do anything you can to get rid of the standard fence).

It's a fine piece of equipment. It was probably the best amendment I made to the Sears saw. It made the saw a pleasure to use.

I have a page on my website that deals with Craftsman saw upgrades. You may find it helpful.

Reply to
LRod

wonder if someone who has one can give me some info on it.

Reply to
Rob Mills

I have had one for 2 years and am very satisfied with it. It moves very easily and always locks dead on square. I moved the rails out to give me

30" on the right; am not sure why anyone would want 24/24.

When I clamp my router fence to it to use my TS router table, I have to clamp the end down so it doesn't move; but it was never designed to do this job, so that is hardly a criticism.

Reply to
Toller