Band Saw Blade Brands

Now that I've installed the riser kit and plan to put the saw into more use, what are recommended brands for 105" blades? Any I should avoid? Any recommendation on must have sizes?

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

1/4 6 tpi

hubops

For resawing:

For everything else:

Spalted Walt

for green wood (such as bowl blanks) 3/8 3 tpi.

Reply to
G. Ross

I think you are going to find that recommended brands may or may not work. Try one and if you like it buy it again. Some saws like some brands better than others.

Reply to
Leon

What about sawing logs? I have much Black Walnut I plan to use and would like to cut them. The smaller ones are 6" to 8" in dia and about 13" in length but I have a few much larger ones as well.

Thank you

Reply to
Meanie

Speaking as someone who hasn't done any resawing, I would use a 3/4" blade with maybe 4 teeth per inch. You could even go heavier if you bandsaw can handle more (I doubt it), and for the same reason, I am cautious as to how much "hook" you would like in the blade. "None" seems less likely intuitively (to me) to cause problems, even if some might make the task easier. Probably you can find published guidelines; maybe in Bird's, "The Bandsaw Book" which I read a while back.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Do you really think you need a 3/4" blade on a 14" saw? Amazing what a good 1/2" blade can do. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Here are a couple links to help you out.

Reply to
OFWW

I agree. Those smaller logs, are they green (wet)? If they are, I'd end cap them with glue and toss them in the attic for a couple of years or if they would fit in your microwave, you could dry them much faster. If they are dry, I'd square them up (2 sides), then slice to my desired thickness.

Reply to
aquaboy

I don't doubt you at all. It's just that after resawing, I'd hate to wish I had used a wider blade. Are you saying it's bad for the saw, or something else?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Most 14" saws won't be strong-enough-backed to be able to adequately tension a 3/4" blade. I don't recall which saw it was you said you have, but if it's one of the Delta knockoffs rather than an older, solid Delta, I'd be extremely reluctant to stretch the point.

It'll not resaw any better and will be considerably worse if you can't properly tension the blade.

I'd also wonder what you've got for power--if you start trying to resaw seasoned walnut at full throat capacity, you're talking quite a lot of material and you may find just a typical import "1/2"-hp ain't agonna' cut it.

The key point I'd ask is what does the manufacturer's operator's guide say for blade size limit? The old Delta's (890 and the like) would take a 3/4"; I'm not sure whether they more recent versions are still as stout or not...

Reply to
dpb

That's exactly what I did. They are several years old. I sealed them when I first received them and now ready to do some work with them.

Reply to
Meanie

I have heard the same thing. I recently spoke with the gentleman from one of the suggested links provided here and he indicated the same thing about the blade thickness and the size of the wheel. 14" wheel is pushing it whereas a 16" would be much better. Plus, as was noted, the overall power can make a difference. Trying to bend thicker metal on a smaller radius puts great stress on it.

Reply to
Meanie

I recommend two. One I have used, and one I am going to use. Timberwolf 3 or 4 TPI 1/2 (I have used and is great) Highland Woodslicer 3 or 4 tpi (want to use)

Not impressed with the Olson blades.

Reply to
woodchucker

if you microwaved them you would dry them too fast and harden them. So no. attic also too fast without control.

I resaw green wood then sticker it and let it air dry.

If you wait until it is dry it is much harder.

Reply to
woodchucker

A 14" saw just doesn't have the power, unless its a laguna 2hp or better.

The small saws just can't feed that blade rumor has it.

Reply to
woodchucker

I have the benefit of being ignorant enough that I may not recognize a poor job.

I have a 3/4 woodslicer on a Laguna 1412 (1.75 HP in the marketing descripion). The saw had no problem resawing some 6-8" osage orange (half log) that has been drying for a few years.

I agree that I have heard claims similar to your for the lesser 14" saws.

(The over-taxed 15 amp circuit to the garage had some troubles. New circuits to be run Real Soon Now.)

Reply to
Drew Lawson

I've never seen so many positive reviews about any other vendor on any of the larger woodworking forums. (sawmillcreek, lumberjocks, ncwoodworker):

Spalted Walt

If you can, run 220 to your saw if the motor will handle it, same circuit to the table saw if you are the only one in the shop.

Reply to
OFWW