Band saw Blade Opening

I am looking for suggestions for unfolding a bit longer than average BS blade. I am talking about blades in the 140-150" range. I had a Rikon 18" BS and after folding the blade up found that to unfold it I had to throw it out in the grass 5 to 7 rimes before it would open. I noticed that the blades at the MiniMax store were simply hung on the wall as they came off the saw. The Laguna I have on order has the 150" blade With that said, I am not sure I want to throw a $225 resaw blade out on the ground or floor more than necessary. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Leon

Wear heavy gloves.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

If you have the storage space, hang the blade loop open. If you fold it, put your shoe on one loop, then using gloves, slowly untwist. Throwing is not recommended. Fred

Reply to
Fred

That's what I ended up doing. Too frightening when that thing comes back at you. But I am not happy with it.

Still, at 3/4" by 105", I do not like the amount of twist I'm putting on the blade to do even this. It's easy enough to fold, though, suggesting that if I just get the motion and hand placement right, unfolding shouldn't be any different. Practice, practice.

**solution** :)

Okay, I just tried this, and it works with a very stiff 3/4"x105" blade. I think it assumes you've tucked the right-hand side in between the "between-hands loop" and the "left-hand loop" as you coiled it:

  1. Put on a pair of gloves and safety glasses, and maybe a heavy long-sleeved smock. :)

  1. Set the (coiled) blade down on something soft in front of you, teeth down.

  2. Lift one loop of the blade--the one that's easiest--in your left hand, just to left of center.

  1. With your eye, follow the blade around the coil from the "blade" of your left hand (namespace error!) to the right side of the coil, and grasp that loop with your right hand so your right hand is beneath the blade where it leaves the thumb side of your left hand (right of center).

  2. Twist your left hand up to vertical.

  1. Continuing the motion, also begin to twist your right hand up to vertical.

  2. Viola! The blade will unfold, tooth side up.

I practiced folding, and then unfolding, with a narrower blade before trying this. It took a few tries to figure out what was going on, but it works well if you always fold turning the same hand in first every time. I think if I spent a little more time on it I could figure out what to look for to indicate which hand should be "on top", allowing one to unfold anyone's bandsaw. You might need to give the "slack" a little push on a longer blade to direct it away from you... don't know.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Leon, The guy at my local blade shop folds and un-folds large bandsaw blades in a move I can hardly see. He just slips on some old welding gloves when he works with 1"x long" blades. In a flash and a zig he has them open or closed. I can fold them OK but opening my 1"x123" 3 TPI, I do like you, toss it on to the lawn.

Dave

Teamcasa

Hummmm... Maybe I can figure out how to unfold it like him. I'll just pay attention to which coils I have in my hands when I fold it up.

Reply to
Leon

That's it... try it a few times. I just learned it. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Cool...

And what a complicated process... Reverse folding it up... LOL

Reply to
Leon

A helper, 2 pairs of heavy welding gloves (or at least rigger gloves) and eye protection.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

How fast can you run?

That sucker opening has got to have the same adventure value as hand propping an airplane.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Well I got my Laguna set up DVD yesterday and the guy opens the blade with his gloved hands.

Reply to
Leon