Pricing work for sale

Guys

I am new to this group and I have been asked to make some scroll saw items for someone for a fundraiser, they have offered to pay me for the items. My problem is I have no idea what to charge. The items are a puzzle and a picture of a girl and a horse. both are approx 12 x 11 inches., the puzzle is made from 3/4" poplar and the picture will be from 2 pieces of laminated plywood. My total cost of material is maybe $5 for both items and the time to make will be the puzzle approx 4 hours and the picture maybe 12 hours. Can anyone offer me any advice on what price to charge for these items?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Since it's for a fundraiser (presumably for a good cause), have you considered just donating your time and charging for materials?

Reply to
Locutus

Or even both. The materials might be tax deductable.

Reply to
Toller

;~) I wonder how much of a tax deduction you would get on $5 worth of materials? 20 cents maybe if you are in the 50% bracket?

Reply to
Leon

This is always tough Mike, I learned last week that I should probably be charging more for my time. Anyway if this is for a good cause, charge as little that you feel comfortable with if you truly want to help out. Don't sell your self short if the job does not interest you.

Reply to
Leon

ummm... no, you would get $2.50 if you were in the 50% bracket. :)

Reply to
Locutus

Ummmm Yeah.... I was only considering the sales tax as being deductible, Doh.

Reply to
Leon

One method of getting full tax deduction for your work (labor and materials) is to do a crafts swap . . . . Artist do it every day I have been told. Simply find another crafts person that will buy one of your projects for say $500.00. Then you in turn by one of his for $500.00. He can donate your work and deduct the full $500.00 & you can donate his work and donate the full $500.00. Just keep the paper trail clean and neat . . .

A fellow I met in Bakersfield made custom saddles . . . a friend of his built detailed miniature covered wagons . . . . they would buy one from each other every year for a couple thousand dollars . . . and both promptly donate them to a charity auction . . . . I have never done it, but it seems like it would work and be legal . . .

Steve

Reply to
Steve DeMars