Anyone else here hone their jointer blades after replacement?

I hone my blades per the instructions that came with the 54a jointer, which means holding a sharpening stone over the blades and firing up the jointer (using precautions as listed in the manual). I like to do that because I'm not perfect at getting 3 blades precisely set to the same gnat's ass height. Once I think I'm within 2 or 3 thou, I let the stone do the "rest".

Dave

Reply to
David

Seems to me that this would somewhat negate the whole point of putting a specific bevel angle on the blade, if you're just going to grind it off again after remounting the blades.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

seems to me the mfgr, who supplied the replacement blades, doesn't see a problem, Chris. the process is "honing". it's very subtle.

Dave

Reply to
David

I took a look at the 54A manual that's on-line at Powermatic's web site and it states:

  1. Disconnect the machine from the power source.

  1. Remove the blade guard and belt cover.

  2. To protect the infeed table from scratches, partially cover the sharpening stone with paper (Figure 47).

  1. Lay the stone on the infeed table.

  2. Lower the infeed table and turn the cutterhead by turning the cutterhead pulley. The infeed table height is set properly when the stone's surface is flush with the knife bevel.

  1. Keep the cutterhead from rotating by grasping the cutterhead pulley while sliding

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

THEY CHANGED THE INSTRUCTIONS!! I'VE GOT THE MANUAL IN FRONT OF ME AND IT STATES ON PAGE 14, STEP NUMBER 4, TURN THE MACHINE ON.

there is a picture showing a block of wood held by a clamp.

SO THERE!!!

Nice try, and thanks for playing

i can scan the entire page and put it on the binaries if you'd like!

Dave

Reply to
David

that date of my manual is 06/01

some idiot probably hurt himself, so they changed the instructions.

they work for me...

Dave

Reply to
David

I agree.

The fact that Powermatic changed the manual might be a hint.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

I posted the page on the binaries. check it out! :)

dave

Reply to
David

Dave, they method you describe is what we did at a tech college in the

1960-1970s era. There was a specific jig to hold the stone although I have seen it done just holding the stone freehand on the outfeed table.

There are safety concerns in doing this, for us it was done at least weekly by the same person.

The new instruction mentioned in other posts suggest that somebody had a nasty accident.

Reply to
marks542004

Dave, my 54A's manual says the same thing. It's scary, no? Plus you've got to be sure your stone is flat.If you're diligent about knife setting, the "honing" isn't necessary. Besides, it scratches up the outfeed table. You wouldn't live in the Bay Area by any chance, would you? Tom

Reply to
tom

the first time I tried it, I had sweaty palms! :)

The second time I honed, I was more calm about the whole thing.

Yeah, San Jose. (The land of way overpriced lumber)

I wanted to ask DMT if their stones were up for this sort of thing, but they never got back to me. I'd expect that wouldn't be a good idea (for the DMT stone, that is).

Dave

Reply to
David

He is back only a matter of time I guess. Relax

Reply to
joey

Joey, I'm relaxed. Perhaps a smiley would have helped convey the tone better!!

Dave

Reply to
David

Dude lose the caps BTW my 54A instructions had the same stoning recommendation I decided it was not a proceedure for me. I have resharpened my blades once and reset with a dial indicator to bout 1-2 thou. The faced and jointed results are excellant. Results rule Joey

Reply to
joey

actually, the procedure produces excellent results. perfectly aligned blades and SHARP (I couldn't end this w/o some CAPS for you)

Dave

Reply to
David

I agree with Chris ,so what is the point of the bevel on the blades. The more this procedure is performed the more screwed up the blade geometry becomes .......mjh

Reply to
mike hide

I think there was some reference to using paper to protect the table; I wonder how well that really works. I'd also be concerned about getting all the grit and filings inside the works of the jointer.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

dave

Reply to
David

FWIW,

used one of these theother day to touch up the knives that have been in use on my 8" jointer for the past 6 months and it made a very noticable improvement. I will make a point this thing on a faily regular basis.

Reply to
Stephen M

It's also at completely the wrong angle.

Bad idea. Don't do it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley