Yorkcraft Jointer Blades and Parts

Hi all,

The Yorkcraft 6" jointer seems to have a pretty good following in this group, and it has received positive reviews. I am looking at either the Grizzly or the Yorkcraft. My only concern with the Yorkcraft is it is exclusive though Wilke (I am pretty sure the Grizzly is exclusive also) and should I be concerned about not being able to find parts such as blades in the future if it's discontinued? I have seen several post on people being concerned with the Ridgid woodworking tools being exclusive through the BORG.

Also, since it is so close in design to the Delta, would Delta blades work in it if at somepoint I would not be able to get replacements from Wilke.

Finally, for those of you who have delt with Wilke, was your experience positive?

As always, any and all feedback is greatly appriciated, I'm looking to make a purchase pretty soon. Regards, Scott

Reply to
Scott

Absolutely not. They'll allow anyone to own their machines.

Oh! You mean proprietary. Then yes, the Yorkcraft and the Grizzly are. Actually, it's rumored that all these machines are built in one of the same five Chiwanese plants but finding out which one and what other machines match your "exactly" isn't a task anyone has set for themselves.

All blades in the world are made by Freud and at last count I noticed they made blades for the older style Delta 6" (short bed jointer) along with blades for Boice-Crane, Walker-Turner and so on. Actually, they don't make blades for any of these machines but do make blades in all the different configurations of thickness, width and length and it's merely a matter of matching the one up to your machine.

Jesada also makes blades.

By the way, to put this in perspective, worrying about blades for your jointer would be like worrying about getting tires for your six year old Transmaro.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Thanks for the quick feedback UA100, that puts things in better perspective.

Thanks again, Scott

Reply to
Scott

I purchased the yorkcraft 6" Jointer from Wilke last year and I've been very happy with it. A month after I got it Wilke customer service called to see how I liked it, which I thought was impressive. It's good to see a company that cares about the customer. I am happy enough with it that I am going to order a Bridgewood 17" bandsaw from Wilke this spring.

Jswee

Reply to
Jswee

They never call me! And the freight charge was outrages! Maybe, I should call them and ask why my freight charges was so high?

Reply to
WD

What is considered outrageous? I've not ordered yet, but they did give me a firm quote on the freight cost so I kow going it what I'll have to pay.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Tony