$55 for 6" Delta Jointer Blades ????

I have a Delta 37-190 jointer...looking at Amazon, replacement blades are a whopping $55.

Can anyone recommend a better option? That just seems outrageous.

Amazon has a Freud C350 set of blades for only $21.95...does anyone know if they will fit the 37-190? (There wasn't any compatibility info on the Freud webpage, but the Freud blades are 6" x 1/8" x 5/8").

Thanks,

Stan

Reply to
No Spam

Check w/ the Delta site for sure, but that's a thickness and width for most Delta although they typically used an 1/8" longer than nominal length.

I'd caution about expecting to receive the Freud knives any time real soon...I've a set of planer knives on order since last October and just received delay approval e-mail yesterday...I've kept renewing it as I don't need them immediately as I ordered them as a spare set to have on hand when sending the carbide knives for regrinding, but I'm beginning to think they're never going to be fulfilled at the listed price.... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The extra eighth is seldom missed at my house.

Reply to
George

Stan - Amazon/Toolcrib has a lot of Freud dimensions to choose from. The best thing to do would be measure one of your existing blades for height, width and thickeness and then find the Freud item that best matches. I ordered the C360 for my Grizzly G1182 and received them in

4 days (even with free super saver shipping). It turns out my jointer really wanted a full 1" high blade and the darned jack screws they put it at the factor will only work with a 1" and not a 7/8" blade, like the C360. I could have returned and ordered the other set but I just replaced all 6 jackscrews in my cutter head with ones a little longer. That allowed me to back the screws out enough to actually adjust the knives.

A quick google yielded no results to the dimesions the stock blades. I'm guessing they are 6 and 1/8 or maybe 6 1/4", but you should check just to be sure.

Reply to
usenet

What size are the Delta blades? Mine are 3/32", so the Freud aren't a fit. I also was horrified by the Delta price, and I eventually found some CMT blades the right size at Cheyanne. Haven't actually used them, but they are the right size.

Reply to
toller

toller: I think mine were 3/32" too, but I replaced them with the 1/8" Freuds. I didn't have any problems with the added thickness because the gib bolts accomodated it just fine. Hopefully I'm not missing some blatantly obvious with running these knives.

Reply to
usenet

I originally did that also, but the fine people here said that if the head was designed for 3/32, putting 1/8" in was really asking for trouble. I can't see why it would make all that much different, but would sure feel silly having the head disintigrate from too much weight, after I was warned. So, I sold the 1/8" on ebay for a profit (I had bought a set of closeout Ridgid at HD for $10) and bought the CMT.

So, my guess is you are okay; I just didn't want to take the chance.

Reply to
toller

According to you, maybe. Perhaps you should as SWMBO?

Reply to
Clint

Why don't you just sharpen them? If you have and they are too small to re-sharpen, then the price is not so bad. I've re-sharpened mine 5-6 time before they need replacing.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

If I can locate some sort of scale I'm going to weigh the stock blade against the C360. My guess is that they are darn close because although the Freud is a 32nd thicker, it's an 1/8" shorter as well. If a cutterhead is designed to be so sensitive that it's integrity may be compromised because of 1/8 of an ounce total increase in weight then perhaps it's already a danger. No where in my grizzly documentation does it even mention the type of blades nor the dimensions for replacements not to mention any cautionary text surrounding the topic.

Also, by replacing the factory jack screws with #10 flatheads I'm sure some might say that's a no-no as well. For starters, a #10 didn't thread pefectly (oops). I"m sure those weigh more as well (ooops oops).

I'd be interesting in hearing a technical explanation if anything I've done is blatantly wrong.

Reply to
usenet

I do not believe this post.....why would you take a chance with getting a mouth full of jointer knive to save a buck ..Do not change the screw size or the knive change...I do not want you getting hurt......$55.00 is cheap....melt your own metal down and hammer out your own! Just not practical...I have always had good luck with Freud...good quality and fair prices....Please be careful!

Reply to
aswr

The problem isn't weight, it's the thickness and the design of the gib.

A 3/32" in place of a 1/8" (4/32") knife is potentially dangerous as there may not be sufficient slot depth for the gib to press in before it gets too high.

Re gib screws...the reason you need longer ones is that you're having to make up for the thinner knife. I won't say your installation is unsafe, I can't see how the knives fit in the head from here...if they've stayed in for a while, that's probably good indication they'll stay from now on...but, as a generality, I would recommend a thinner knife.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What did the Mohel say before he went to work?

"Won't be long now."

But, if you must know, it represents so little as a proportion of the whole....

Reply to
George

I have never had any problems with Global toolings knives. I think the ones for your jointer are about $19.00

Jody

Believe it. I was wrong in the width of the original knives. According to Grizzly the 1182 takes 1"x1/8"x6" knives. What I tested in my jointer were 7/8"x1/8"x6" knives.

Now, just for grins I put the digital caliber on both the original knive and a freud, both claiming 1/8" thick. Remember, grizzly said

1/8" thick.

1/8 inch = 3.175 mm Actual grizzly knife: 2.95mm Freud C360: 3.20mm

Hardly a small difference if being overly sensitive as you claim.

Now, regarding the difference between 7/8" and 1" knives. Please, by the time yahoo's get done learning to sharpen their own knives they end up using a shorter knive. That is why the springs/jack screws exist in the first place! And fwiw, the jack screw hole is threaded all the way through the cutterhead, allowing a longer jack screw. So, if you are trying to tell me that a "knife setting screw", of which plays zero part in securing the knife itself, shouldn't be changed, well then we'll have to agree to disagree. I do agree about messing with the thickness of the blade and the gib design. However, the gib design/integrity is in no way affected by the 1/8" difference in blade height.

I knew before hand about the implications of knife changing but I made an informed decision based on the real actual data from my particular situation. I'm no moron (you may disagree) and am very aware of the dangers in the jointer and the power of the cutter head. By all means don't try this !!!!

Reply to
usenet

I though he said something about how much it sucks, working for tips..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis