Help fix damaged truss rod end

Hello:

When bulding my workbench (truss rod construstion), I made the mistake of tapping the stubborn truss rod ends with a hammer to move them in place. As a result, the threads on the ends were smashed and will not accept a nut. I tried to use a triangular file to "recreate" the grooves, but this only made it stripped! Is there any way for me to repair the ends or rethread them? I know this is not rec.metalworking, but I figured someone here has done the same thing. Please list multiple solutions if there are any. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Reply to
4wards

They make a thread restoring file you could try or you can possibly clean up the threads by running a die over them.

Describe the rod you are using for a truss.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

  1. Get a die and re-cut them...
  2. If you've not torn them up too badly, file off enough to get past the bad portion and go on..
  3. Thread-cutting file...
  4. Variations on above...

As a "trick", next time you need to do such an "adjustment", thread a nut on the bolt/rod first and use either a wood block or a soft-face mallet to drive...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

It's steel. Re-thread the end with a thread chaser or a thread restoration file. Worst case, have it cut, weld a new section on.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

Reply to
Ray Mandeville

rethreading file.

Reply to
bridger

If you have access to a tap & die set, you can 'chase' the threads back into their original condition (or so) with the appropriatly sized die-- to find out the size, you can use the supplied nut & test - by hand & gently with various sized taps until the correct one will easily screw on to the tap. You may have to round over the peened end of the rod slightly with a file. Most dies have an end that is larger than the finished thread size. Screw that end on first. If you don't have a die set, any decent machine shop can rethread the end for you on the lathe. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

Don't think they would have a die? :)

By the time he pays the machine setup fee, he'll have bought the rod several times over...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Russ

Simplest way is to file or grind the end that is damaged flat until the damaged area is cleaned up. Forget about "triangular files" they are generally the wrong pitch angle anyway. You could always remove the rod and start a die nut of the appropriate size from the opposite end and run it the entire lenght of the rod but you will likely still be faced with grinding/filing the damaged end done because the die nut won't cut new thred in rod that is grossly swelled oversize.

Reply to
ded_kenney

Thought of that after I posted-- and you were so kind to remind me. I always think most people have more bucks than me lol-- Anyway, I like the post below yours best-- simple simple simple.

Reply to
Phil at small (vs at large)

As long as there is enough extra length to implement it, of course... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Or the start of a nice little die/tap set--always good to have around. Dan

Reply to
d.kessell