For anyone else who objects to diyprojects.info using their posts

Today I received the following communication from The Planet who it appears host diyprojects.

If anyone else wants to complain, here's the gist of it

"If you submit a DMCA complaint using the format located here:

will investigate immediately.

-- Thanks,

Policy Enforcement The Planet Internet Services, Inc.

" The information contained in this post may not be published in, or used by

raden

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Result !

Reply to
raden

do not want you to archive my article(s)! How can I prevent messages that I post from being archived on Google Groups? Google supports the 'X-No-archive: yes' header, and we will not archive any articles that contain this text either in the header or in the first line of the message body

Why do you not just use that method of stopping sites archiving your posts? It is I believe usenet convention to use that method.

Have you complained to google asking them not to archive yours? After all google and their shareholders make money off them.

Reply to
mogga

Because the phpbb usenet hack they were using didn't obey X-No-archive: yes.

Yes, but we're not talking about Usenet, we're talking about a web bb that harvests Usenet posts.

Reply to
Grunff

You sure? I couldn't find any of my postings there. (Of course, that could be 'cos I is an iriot.)

Reply to
Huge

I thought I saw some X-No-archive posts there, but I could be wrong - I wasn't paying a great deal of attention.

Reply to
Grunff

Err ... who mentioned anything about google, since when has The Planet hosted Google ?

You've not been following the saga have you ?

Reply to
raden

Who cares?

I saw it more of a matter of principle

I don't mind google archives, but I do object to a forum lifting all the uk-diy postings without consent and treating it as it's own

Reply to
raden

Now get someone on rec.woodworking to do the same :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Which is what the "X-no-archive: Yes" header is for. So long as they honour that (and requests to remove postings) I couldn't care less who hoovers up Usenet.

Reply to
Huge

They didn't

Which require an email address or web form that works, neither of which was apparent.

Even if they present it as their own forum, rather than a Usenet archive?

Reply to
Rob Morley

It gave a double entry into uk.d-i-y, an alternative to Google. If they honoured the no archive and other simple bits, I doubt no one would mind. They went about it in the wrong way.

Reply to
IMM

So long as the attributions are retained, who cares?

Reply to
Huge

[several bits snipped]

The biggest nuisance was that people would register and use the forum to post. This would break the text of the posts they were replying to, including the headers, meaning that some news servers and definitely google would not reconstruct the threads properly. Quoting conventions also went completely out the window.

I don't have a problem with someone (e.g. google) archiving usenet groups, but I do have a problem with a poorly scripted site which results in bad newsgroup posts which then disrupt the original group.

For an example of broken headers in responses, see:

the broken response to Andy Hall's message in this thread:
for broken quoting:
that's why I wasn't happy about diyprojects.info.

Reply to
Al Reynolds

[14 lines snipped]

Ah. That's a different matter.

Reply to
Huge

I'd be delighted if they used your posts. But only yours, of course. That would teach the scum...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

...and we would all be delighted if nioe of your were there...or here...or anywhere.

Reply to
IMM

It also wouldn't allow me to register.

I tried several times, but the greyed registration code just wouldn't work.

Reply to
raden

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

There is such a thing as "cruel and unusual punishment".

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson