Anyone else using thunderbird 31?

Because I hate what mine is doing...see the compose window....

Have I done something to deserve this, or is it 'just the way it is'?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote

Jeez you send email in HTML ! Fuck a duck

Oh, you've exposed your real email addy.

Reply to
Jabba

only the one I reserve for usenet

Which I think will bounce if you try it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It seems to be the latest "improvement" maybe there's a classic theme available to put it back?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On 09 Sep 2014, The Natural Philosopher grunted:

Not here; but probably because my 'compose' window is handled by a really excellent add-on called 'Identity Chooser' - as I use multiple accounts on my Thunderbird, it's a method of preventing you from accidentally sending from the wrong account (something IIRC you've done here yourself in the past?!).

Personally I wouldn't be without it now; and it certainly gets round the issues you've just reported too.

See the blurb from 'About Identity Chooser' below:

Identity Chooser helps you to choose the correct identity when composing a new email.Do you remember the first time you accidentally sent a work related email from your private email account? Embarrassing, right? Identity Chooser helps you to prevent that. It makes choosing the sender address explicit:

? Do you want to compose a new email? Identity Chooser forces you to choose the sender address first.

? Do you want to forward an email? Identity Chooser forces you to choose the sender address first.

? Do you want to send a new email to a contact in your address book? Identity Chooser forces you to choose the sender address first.

To make it short: Every time you'll create a new message, Identity Chooser shows you a menu with all your identities. And as a second line of defense, Identity Chooser uses colors in the message composer to help you detect a wrong sender address.

Everything in Identity Chooser is about making explicit choices. No automatisms, no defaults.

And as a result you'll never send an email from the wrong email address again

Reply to
Lobster

Yes, you've upgraded. :-)

I believe that's the way it is. I don't see much to object to: I kind-of noticed it, then shrugged and moved on.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

It's this sort of thing that caused me to write my own email client.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Who cares these days, the addresses are all known anyway. I agree that html in usenet is rather pointless though. In the original query, though I cannot see pictures, the main comment is that if something has changed you do not like gfirstly go to the support forum for the program, and if you cannot get it sorted, simply use an older version that works as you like it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Mine is somewhat different. When I open the write box the cursor is prepositioned in the address box which shows up as a white box as normal. Hitting the TAB key jumps to the subject box which then becomes white. Another TAB takes you to the message body pane. This is all as it has always been, other than a slight change in cosmetic appearance, and I hadn't even noticed that until you mentioned it.

Reply to
Bob Henson

Be thankful. There's some ridiculous wolf-howling-at-moon theme been applied.

But, yes, the address and subject boxes are greyed out until you actually come to use them. And there's some lines between where multiple address lines go. I'm not quite sure why that's an issue worthy of the opprobium being flung at it... Other mail clients are available, of course.

Reply to
Adrian

The Natural Philosopher wrote

What about

Larks snipped-for-privacy@templar.co.uk

That'll bounce too

Reply to
Jabba

OK. I did have extreme weirdness at one point, but vaguely remembered having tinkered with an old version years ago, so removed a style CSS file and it went to something reasonable.

I may try an addon to see if that fixes it.

But at least its broken by design as it were, not by me..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmm. but you can choose identities anyway these days.

Nevertheless for the sake of 10 mins testing, I'll give it a shot

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well maybe you can let me beta it...;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IN fact that wasn't Usenet.

I simply created a compose *mail* screen, not a news screen, and I selected my usenet name to hide the ones that actually work.

usenet is strictly text only.

In the original

I could but frankly its more hassle .

I tend to go with 'whats current now' as I have been caught out too often by 'your xys app is no longer supported' stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Maybe I just have a set of unhappy colours.

But the boxes didn't use to be hidden before mouseover, and the lines are new. And I hate both.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I like wolves and the moon.

*shrug* no need to be snotty.

I merely wanted to know if it was the expected behaviour. In order to determine whether as is my choice, I needed to change it proactively, or whether I had accidentally buggered something as a result of merging two installations.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I should hope so!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While you're at it you might also consider Virtual Identity, which I like a lot.

Virtual Identity is an extension / add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird and the Mozilla Seamonkey Suite. Using Virtual Identity you can simply edit the sender-address in your email to whatever you like - as long as your mail-server accepts the resulting mail. This is useful especially for people who have an own mail-server and don?t like adding every possible account as an Identity in the mail-client.

The feature to create instant, temporary Identities gives also increased possibilities to reply to other emails. Therefore the Virtual Identity extension contains a feature called Smart-Reply, which creates an identity based on information found in an received email without user interaction. Additionally Virtual Identity is able to save used Virtual Identities and reuse them for every new mail to the same recipient.

What the last paragraph is trying to say is that when you compose an email, VI chooses the identity that you used when you last wrote to that person. Handy.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

This last statement is a very bold claim. They forgot to add the rider:

"(unless you're really stupid or careless)"

which all rather suggests they didn't employ the services of a professional ad copy writer, further reinforced by the final word not being preceded by "ever".

At least whoever wrote that copy managed to resist adding that touch of hyperbole (which they could've gotten away with if they'd bothered to add the rider regarding end user stupidity or carelessness). :-)

Reply to
Johny B Good