Anyone else using PAN newsreader? Filters?

I've been using the Windows version of Pan for some time (years). I started on Linux but I'm not running any Linux at the moment. The UI doesn't seem to offer any flexibility in filtering messages but there is a text file which holds all the rules.

I would like to get to the stage of hand editing the text file to add, remove, or edit rules but my Tuit isn't round enough at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone has addressed this already, or if I have to contemplate moving to Thunderbird as my news reader.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Not tried it, but it looks like the scoring rules file is the thing you can manipulate - there are some tools in the GUI that can add rules, but I suspect for more complicated stuff you might need to do it manually.

There is a bit of guidance here:

John Rumm

Ta. That says the rules are very similar to slrn. Unfortunately the slrn home page redirects to a cash loan company.

Nothing is easy.

Looking for a scoring rules guide but this may take some time.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Apparently s-lang regular expressions are used, which are hauntingly similar to egrep and others, but also frustratingly different.

I foresee hours of innocent fun ahead, especially as it is probably 10+ years since I last looked at a regular expression.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

This may be too simplistic for you but I simply right click on the subject in the header pane and use that to set my rules. If you want to ignore a poster completely its easy or you can set more advanced options if you wish.

Reply to
Bev

Thanks. Overlooking the obvious. I assume that if you set a rule for number of cross posts it applies to all articles in the same way that ignoring an author does.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

The Natural Philosopher

I just use the ignore author box and select 'forever'.....Can only do one at a time so time consuming, it works ok though.

Reply to
jon

"An intellectual is a person knowledgeable in one field who speaks out only in others...”

Tom Wolfe

“Expertise in one field does not carry over into other fields. But experts often think so. The narrower their field of knowledge the more likely they are to think so.”

R. A. Heinlein

Reply to
Joe

Just to note that Pan just crashed on me and I've lost a couple of posts.

Thanks, anyway!

As a start I've limited the number of cross posts. We shall see if that makes any difference.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I do use Pan, but not with any filtering.

I read uk.d-i-y with Claws-mail on Eternal September, and of course use filters heavily.

I have 46 for the ES account (From or Subject contains..) and another dozen for my email accounts. I'm not a fan of content filtering, I gave up on the arms race with SpamAssassin after a couple of months or so, and just banned a few obvious words in Subject (e.g. apartments, ray-ban etc). The last few hours on uk.d-i-y have delivered 8 junk posts, all but one apparently from one poster (guess who), No junk got through.

I also have a few rules to drop particular types of wanted email straight into their IMAP directories, and find it quite annoying when reading the email on another device when it's all still in the Inbox.

I used to use TB but eventually the (lack of) speed got the better of me. Claws doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it has what I need and it's *so* much faster. Also available on Windows.

Reply to
Joe

Very much a newbie to TB this week, from a much older reader, but I'm very much liking it so far, especially the filters. I'm not finding is slow in the slightest, apart from when you first use the instant filter a the top of the posts, like the one for 'Show only unread posts'.

Simply marking all of the old posts as read, makes that filter near instant.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

There are some examples here:

So translating some of the TB examples look doable - so nuking stuff cross-posted to non relevant groups:

[uk.d-i-y] Score: -9999 Xref: soc\. Xref: talk\. Xref: uk\.legal Xref: alt\. Xref: rec\. Xref: soc\. Xref: uk.politics\.*

(not sure if the escaping for . is needed in the targets)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not sure, I've tried it on a limited number of crosspost groups and it has worked for that.

I see that John Rumm has given some rules further down, based on his interpretation of slrn/TBird and they look like the ones I set.

Reply to
Bev
<snip>

Thanks.