Freezer door seal puzzle

I've just defrosted a ~10yr under worktop freezer.

Afterwards the magnetic seal did not seal properly and I had to wedge it closed, but once the freezer was cold it was fine. Why is this?

Reply to
AnthonyL

The cool inside the fridge, makes the air inside contract rapidly, reducing the air pressure inside and helping pull the door closed. Notice how difficult it is to reopen a fridge door, immediately after you have closed it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

That just explains what happens every time you open and close the door. I suspect that cooling the rubber changes its composition somehow. I haven't observed the effect specifically after defrosting.

Reply to
Max Demian

The point I was trying to make (quite badly), was. that the suction would help make the seal better conform to the metal and thus improve the magnetic force.

The magnetic effect on a small area of the seal is quite tiny, but is quite effective over the entire area of the seal.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

alan_m

The problem with someone posting a link to The Secret Life of Machines is that you just have to go and watch them again because they were such excellent TV.

So that's most of today wasted now!

Reply to
mm0fmf

They were very good, weren't they. Compulsive viewing for those with an interest.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

That may well as be but your earlier answer was the more likely scenario (thank you) as the seal itself is undamaged, clean and only struggles when warm (inside and out).

I've read elsewhere that the rubber does lose it's condition and a light rubbing with vaseline helps so I'll experiment with that next time (in a couple of years).

Reply to
AnthonyL

It could be the hinges, or one of them, is failing.

The seal is just that, the hinges should close the door so the seal can work.

Reply to
Brian

Heat distorts the door? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Well partly, but in the showroom where none of the fridges are in fact on, the door seal itself is quite strong on its own. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff