Solar Panel Failure

I have a 12 Panel solar install ... 12 x BenQ 330W into a Solar Edge inverter

Noticed on monitor App 1 Panel has gone down (not generating)

The Panels are under warranty, but on checking the sales/installer company has ceased trading. (guess as FIT Tarif dropped)

2 part Q ..... Does anybody know how to contact BENQ solar Panel support in UK .... hoping they do some form of advance replacement?

All my searches show plenty of BenQ Solar Panel sellers .... but when you try BENQ support no option for Solar Panels.

Second part - anybody had a similar issue with supplier ceased and needed to get support. Luckily as each panel has local control ... the other 11 continue to work fine.

Reply to
rick

I see websites saying things such as "BenQ Solar, a division of AU Optronics" so maybe search for AUO uk?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Was it insurance backed at the point of install? If so follow up with the insurers.

Reply to
Bev

Hmmm, "AU Optronics"

I've fitted a few laptop screens made by them.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

"BenQ Solar, a division of AU Optronics, is committed to bringing solar into your everyday life in a greener, more efficient, more reliable and easily accessible way. AU Optronics Corporation is a leading global manufacture of TFT-LCD, dedicated to greener products, manufacturing, and the way of living. BenQ Solar leverages the manufacturing strength of AU Optronics to produce top quality and innovative solar products to worldwide customers."

AUO is at:

However, that doesn't list a UK operation, only Germany, Netherlands, Slovakia. It is very possible the panels are directly imported. But perhaps you could try one of those offices.

You could ask uk.legal.moderated. One route is a Section 75 claim if you paid (even in part) by a credit card.

OTOH a new panel is about £100 so it could just be cheaper to replace.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

yes, same division ...

$ResponsivePreset$>

Reply to
Andy Burns

Find an example of a manufacturer-supplied warranty.

AU Optronics Corporation, No.1, JhongKe Rd., Central Taiwan Science Park, Taichung 40763, Taiwan, R.O.C

Since the address lacks any "Attention: PV Panel Warranty Claims Department" or similar, how will the letter arrive at the appropriate place ?

As for shipping the unit back with RMA number in hand, that is done so they can do an analysis and determine "failure caused by handling". This is also why hard drives now have shock recorders, so units can be rejected for warranty, based on max shock value. The panel is unlikely to have any sort of recorder -- while there are adhesive backed shock detectors, maybe shock is not the normal way failures occur. Maybe flexing of the panel is a metric.

*******

Regarding general warranty satisfaction, the customer comments at the bottom of this article show that NOBODY got satisfaction. Crooks all round, for the win.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

How do they fail - wouldn't have thought there's much to go wrong beyond the mechanical bits . . . ?

Reply to
RJH

On BenQ website plenty of options to get support for monitors & flat panel TV ..... noting for Solar. Any attempt to raise a ticket to ask .. fails as it needs product number & serial numbers

Reply to
rick

Can't fine anything that says that.

Reply to
rick

It could be the microcontroller fitted behind the panel ... which is a different company, again under warranty.

I ned to find a Solar 'repair' company who will do the work, need to be on roof and swap parts to identify fault then claim replacement under warranty

Reply to
rick

I know that the advice when buying anything like this is to check who underwrites the insurance. If its part of the company that fits them, don't take it, I had some wall coat on my house and was advised by the contractor to go for one underwritten by GE finance, and the couple of times in the 15 years I've needed remedial work they have paid for it no quibble even though the contractor has gone, these seem to be a bit like busses, none for ages then several at once, often some have the old employees as well! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I don't think they make the screens but they do distribute some of them, often if you track back you find they were made to order by Samsung, but were not the standard type. However do not know about solar cells. Are we sure its actually the cell, and not some dodgy contact to it? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Panels don't have any smarts in them, they're just panels. I think you might mean a microinverter, turning the panel voltage into 230v AC for just one or two panels. If the microinverter is toast, the other panels should work fine - only this one won't contribute.

That is likely made by someone who isn't the panel manufacturer - Enphase is a popular brand. Those are more likely to fail than the panel itself since they contain chunky power electronics. Have a look at your paperwork and see if it says what type of microinverters were installed.

I'd ask around your local electricians: some of them may know PV systems and be able to diagnose faults. Depends on how awkward the access is and whether they need scaffolding etc. Maybe there's some cunning way to access from the loft side.

You could also decide that your array is only going to be 11 panels from now on, if the cost of replacement isn't worth it. (eg maybe the warranty will replace the unit, but not pay the costs of access)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Mechanical damage has always seemed a likely issue - stray tree branches etc.

Checking the connectors would be worthwhile. I looked at some and I wasn’t impressed with the quality. The scope for being poorly fitted seemed infinite, leading to reliability issues etc. People seem to have a problem with using the right tools to fit connectors and fitting them correctly- not just for Solar connections.

Reply to
Brian

I should have used the term 'Optimiser' its the Solar Edge Optimiser, one per panel .... that may be the culprit. They don't convert to AC as its DC that arrives at Optimizers assume its similar to battery balancing on chargers.

Luckily they have a great help desk .... they have logged the ticket and can investigate remotely .... so that is next step at least. The Optimisers have 25 yr warranty

Reply to
rick

I had a document that states 20 yr warranty on panels & inverter, 25Yr on Optimizers. All to be dealt with with by them ..... but they are no more. :-(

Reply to
rick

On checking all documentarian pack its seems there is a warranty assurance ... under RECC Assurance scheme.

It advises under Assurance that "/via RECC Assurance scheme, warranty from us will still be honoured if we should go out of business during warranty period/"

I have contacted the scheme ..... I'll report back with what they say, I am not to hopeful.  I had a similar Assurance scheme when I bought a use car for my wife - it went faulty, and basically there was every get out going.

Reply to
rick

It seems RECC only requires them to have insurance, they don't provide it.

Further reading showed 2 things

It does state that 'Pinnacle Renewables is a member of the RECC Assurance Scheme, we are required to have arrangements in place so that your workmanship warranty frpm us will still be honoured if we go out of business during warranty period"

These sounds initially good until the next section "Your warranty is insured under Deposit and Workmanship Insurance (DAWWI) Scheme You have a 5 yr insurance policy through QANW, covering workmanship and product"

So that has expired .... so I'm back to the beginning, and its product warranty direct with manufacturer

Reply to
rick

Often a problem with double glazing companies which historically seem to go bust every couple of years and then re-emerge trading with the same brand name but with "different" owners.

Reply to
alan_m